Kozuka Translation

Akitombo

Hi Everybody,

Please could I have some help with the reading of this kozuka blade.

It is the first one I've had with anything on it.

I understand that it is going to be a poem, but did these blades ever get signed by the makers?

Regards

David

post-740-14196745422193_thumb.jpg

David,

Edit your post, and add the pic. If you need help, check the How-To section.

Kogatana and also kozuka were often signed by the makers. I have seen both with poems too. Gimei is just as prevalent as on swords too.

Brian

Guest reinhard

Names of well-known Kaji on Kogatana-blades are mainly decorative ornaments. They have never been seriously examined for obvious reasons and usually are not particularly mentionned in literature. This particular signature is far from the original, but it doesn't affect the value of the blade negatively, for nobody expects a genuine mei of Naka Kawachi KUNISUKE on a Kogatana-blade.

reinhard

Thanks for all the help so far, but I have a few more questions.

I can understand the comments about the signiture being gimei, but it does not matter on a kozuka blade, like a katana, the signiture is the last thing one looks at.

Yet, I took it for granted that little or no skill went into making these blades and it was the handle that was the star, is this wrong???

Were these blades forged, folded, etc?

I can only find a little written about the sharp ends, much about the handles, any sources I can look to?

Regards

An even more confused David

David,

You get both types. Some kogatana (the blade) are just solid steel and some are forged and folded just like sword blades. Many will show a nice hada and hamon once polished. Note that only the opposite side to the mei gets polished. You will usually see the hamon and hada if present only on the other side.

Best way to tell is to shine a yellowish light on it and see if it has traces of hamon.

Some will have nothing, but there is every chance yours is forged maybe.

If you search the forum for "kogatana" you should pull up posts on this. Note that the handle part is the kozuka.

Regards,

Brian

Edit: See this post

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..