Enjoyable O Itame

Hello Stephen:

If the jidada is so different  on both sides it makes me wonder how the kawagane plate would have been differentially fashioned prior to the insertion of the shingane, and aside from that how would the metal with differently woven interlacings of the steel in the kawagane respond to the stresses of actual use. I have no idea but in that such side to side differences are hardly common, what is the point and what are the consequences? The differences might seem visually interesting, but what are the practical effects if any?

Arnold F.

In the light angle shot they provide I wondered why the hamon on the right side is a bit more ragged than on the left, but to be honest, until nearer the nakago end of sword, it's hard to say the jihada is very different on both sides. It's visually a stunning work and healthy (hamachi notch very good). I would request a real light picture, but with such a short time in auction, they probably can't get to it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..