Kantei/evaluation/appraisal.....advice

Gentlemen,

I am looking for some direction and suggestions on how to go about getting some help in determining what I hold in my small newbie collection of three years. I have a mumei shinshinto katana and a mumei early shinto wakizashi/possible uchi katana (guessing). Both blades are in polish and are mounted in koshirae.....franken koshirae I would say, but at least it's another feature and offers other things to look at, admire, and study. I still feel, in my newbieness, greatful to have these in my possession and for the lessons they have taught me.

I also hold a mounted, papered, koto wakizashi -Yoshii Fujiwara Kiyonori- that I purchased form Mr. Danny Massey- that I'm still very pleased with and that I feel can be a lifetime keeper type sword for me. Message board bonifides....lol....so you all know that I maybe have some sense and better idea of what to collect....lol.

Anyway, I understand that these two are very likely not valuable swords. However, I know what I paid for them and would ideally like to understand what it is I own and what reasonable value they hold concurrent to the sword market, etc. Like many of you, I definitely peruse the well known American sword dealers websites relentlessly and know that several offer such services. I live in South Central Pennsylvania, and would ideally like to, in person, have these swords evaluated in hand as an aide to study and education. As I progress within this hobby I would like to plan for the time whereas I can use these swords to sell, trade, etc....free up funds for further study.

Would anyone know of any Japanese sword experts who may offer such a service in the mid-Atlantic or east coast or eastern mid-west region of the United States? Any ideas, advise, and suggestions relating to questions stated or un-stated would be most welcome. I can definetly try to take and post some photos if anyone feels like that would aide in this post. I am here to learn. Thank you all for any wisdom you more seasoned collectors may care to impart.

John,

Thanks for the reply and advise.

Mark,

Thanks so much or the offer, that would be great. Looking forward on the calendar, that seems to be a weekend that I'm due to work, but I might try to drive out on Thursday for a few hours for the opportunity. I actually met and spoke with you earlier this year at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show.

We seem to be in about the same class of Nihontofile and since I live in North central Pa., was wondering if we could connect somehow and compare notes, etc.? I usually make it to Timonium MD. for the Antique weapons show in March. Let me know,   John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..