Where Were Made The Mantetsu-To?

Bruno

Morning,

Of course the best advice I can give us to read Ohmura: http://ohmura-study.net/998.html

That seems to be the latest and generally considered the most factual information on these swords. There must be a few threads already on this subject, but I can't remember Tokyo being mentioned. I tend to lack retention though, so I may have just forgotten.

Cheers

Im in the same pool as Bruce, 

john sloughs book states that several factories in Japan made the upper end Ko issin. 

but with lack of any real method of IDing them how can we tell, they are just to simply to put it, they are almost identical.

I'm of the opinion that they are all made in Manchuria, with the added  astonishing way in which they are made which is very cool, the fact that they are almost exactly the same, points to mass production, and the only place near Japan with plenty of free labour and materials was Manchuria. 

also the main point that people seem to forget, is they were made to withstand sub 0c temps in hand to hand combat, also points directly to china, so it makes sence to make and sell them in the one country in which they are occupying.

I know there are people on this board who disagree 

• Like 1

Hi 

Yes Hamfish you are correct they are all identical but maybe the number on the mune can provide informations on the place they were made? Also don't the date and kind of inscriptions (sake vs kore etc) can give enough clues to determine where the sword was made?

I will have a closer look at Ohumra's web page despite the terrible translation. 

One person I spoke to briefly while researching my Mantetsu wakizashi seem to know certain production dates related to the spine or "wa" number.  Considering this was a business and the Japanese were known to keep detailed records, along with each sword was numbered, I suspect production information exists in records somewhere.  

Question is will we ever have access to it ?

• Like 3

One person I spoke to briefly while researching my Mantetsu wakizashi seem to know certain production dates related to the spine or "wa" number.  Considering this was a business and the Japanese were known to keep detailed records, along with each sword was numbered, I suspect production information exists in records somewhere.  

Question is will we ever have access to it ?

What Ed said. I tend to believe the same. Maybe Morita sama knows more about this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..