Weird Hamon, Possible Retemper?

Hastur

Mizukage at the machi is a sign of tempering rather than retempering.

When you see mizukage in combination with suriage, you have conflicting information: the nakago tells you that the machi is not original, and the hamon tells you that the machi is original. So, that is where you end up with the conclusion of retempering.

Mizukage can be removed somewhat with hot copper and I think maybe the Hizen smiths did this, I don't know much about it but some other guys do.

In this case I don't think what you see is a sign of retempering. But I agree it looks weird. 

• Like 3

The last picture suggests two things to me (1) that the clay simply fell off the blade there during yakiire, or (2) that the smith might have been attempting to create O-koshiba of the Kamakura period.  I have seen a Shinto/Shinshinto katana that had a very good representation of O-koshiba.

BaZZa.

Brad,

to answer your question precisely, you have to know the construction of the blade. Imagine as an example that only the outer steel layers of the blade (KAWAGANE) contain enough carbon for hardening. In many cases, these layers may only be some tenth of a millimeter thick, while the flexible core steel (SHINGANE) may have 4 to 5 mm (just an average figure). In this case you will find only a small influence of the hardened part.

The old swordsmiths had a lot of experience, and they knew that their customers' lives depended on the reliability of their swords, so I believe that they took no risk. We know that some of the best blades were made with HITATSURA HAMON so I don't think they were more likely to break than other blades. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..