New Member Needing Assistance

Ramsey

I couldn't get the very last one... I only got it as far as Bishū Osafune Suke. A better picture of the last kanji on this tang would put my curiosity to rest, but I suspect that it is indeed Sukesada. Also, if you've used talcum powder to bring out the signature, you might try a shot without the powder. It sometimes confuses things. 

So is it old and what would you put the value of the sword at

If the signature is authentic, it means the sword is several hundred years old. If you do a search on that swordsmith's name, you should find a lot of information about that line of smiths. If you search on this board alone, you should find enough to keep you busy for a while. Most importantly is to read up on handling, care, storage of the sword.

The value depends on the quality and condition of the sword. If it has several decades of curious fingers touching the blade, then you'll probably need to get it polished by a professional Japanese sword polisher. Avoid the temptation to try to remove the rust by yourself. Also avoid the temptation to let a well-meaning amateur try to polish it...you will likely cause further harm to the blade. 

• Like 1

Ramsey

Please allow me to interpret nihonto lingo.

Nakago = the rusty looking part of the sword that has one or more holes in it.

Stephan is asking for a pic of the whole nakago as the very end of it is an important clue to sword indentifaction. More help is being offered if you provide a photograph.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..