Trying To Identify A Sword

lukeed

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and came across it while trying to identify a sword. It appears to be Japanese, I believe there is a stamp in the blade and appears to be serial numbered. Any info on if this is a legit or knockoff would be appreciated as well as thoughts on it's identification/age if a true Japanese blade. Either way, I find the blade interesting and am just trying to gather information for my own personal use.

The blade length is just over 12" and it appears that it's been take care of and oiled correctly. The blade smells of oil, but does not feel greasy or have extra oil on it. Pics are attached below.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and information in helping identify this item.

Thank you!

Luke

post-4205-0-16630000-1503984636_thumb.jpg

post-4205-0-08940500-1503984669_thumb.jpg

post-4205-0-49977100-1503984699_thumb.jpg

post-4205-0-80498900-1503984733_thumb.jpg

post-4205-0-79790300-1503984803_thumb.jpg

post-4205-0-28812800-1503984852_thumb.jpg

post-4205-0-87481000-1503984935_thumb.jpg

post-4205-0-89406500-1503984967_thumb.jpg

post-4205-0-28948400-1503985033_thumb.jpg

post-4205-0-12128400-1503985250_thumb.jpg

Hi ? (Luke?),

Please sign all your post with at least your first name. It’s one of the forum rules.

Your knife does look like a homemade knife based on a Japanese WW2 bayonet. The arsenal stamp and serial number are visible on the blade.

Regards,

Ed

Hi ? (Luke?),

Please sign all your post with at least your first name. It’s one of the forum rules.

Your knife does look like a homemade knife based on a Japanese WW2 bayonet. The arsenal stamp and serial number are visible on the blade.

Regards,

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the information and my apologies. I missed that and have corrected it.

Thank you

Luke

Hi ? (Luke?),

Your knife does look like a homemade knife based on a Japanese WW2 bayonet. The arsenal stamp and serial number are visible on the blade.

Regards,

Ed

Hi Ed,

Do Japanese bayonets typically have curvature in the blades? I haven't see this style before.

Thanks

Luke

Hi Luke,

I’m not a bayonet collector / expert but I don’t believe there is a type with a curved blade. I think the blade is reshaped. A lot of effort is put into this knife, so why not reshape the blade. Maybe there are other members with an better explanation.

Regards,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

A distinctly Chinese martial arts style to this one. Put together from found items, but not necessarily to deceive, but rather more for use. A cut down sabre blade?

Hi Dave - This would make sense considering where the blade was purchased (essentially a Chinese thrift shop). It's an interesting piece and I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Thanks!

Luke

Hi ? (Luke?),

Regards,

Ed

Ed,

I think we can rule out any Japanese bayonet type (including the export and emergency models)!

Ed,

I think we can rule out any Japanese bayonet type (including the export and emergency models)!

Hi Uwe,

I’m not so sure. The marking on the blade is typical for Japanese bayonets. See added picture. I don't know if other countries also use these marking. I think the blade is reshaped by a handy guy.

Regards,

Ed

post-3919-0-82720700-1504888036_thumb.png

The Type 3 parts look to be original, I haven't seen many fakes of those and don't see a reason to fake them for this unless for a niche market.

The blade though I believe is 100% fake as the Nagoya arsenal mark is out of place and poorly done and no serial numbers were on Type 30 bayonet blades that I know of.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..