Tsuba Identification

EdWolf

Hi to all,

I recently bought a nice Type 98 Gunto sword. To close the deal, this Tsuba was added.

I believe the animals are squirrels but I’m not sure.

I was trying to figure out the school. I found some comparable designs with birds and other animals all from the KYO-SHOAMI school. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Ed

post-3919-0-09683900-1503931906_thumb.jpg

Here are some other photos of the Tsuba. Hope this will help.

I have inspected the Tsuba and there are no seams visible. Of course, this can be removed. Do you guys think this Tsuba is cast? The outlines of the Kozika Hitsu-ana and the Kogai Hitsu-ana are very thin. Can this be made with casting?

Please, feel free to comment.

Regards, Ed

post-3919-0-25620100-1503986486_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-65695000-1503986487_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-16510600-1503986488_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-26796800-1503986489_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-54901000-1503986490_thumb.jpg

Hi to all,

Thanks for the replies. After the first reply about cast iron I was a little bit worried. When I made the deal, I felt pretty confident about the Tsuba. I’m glad you guys don’t see signs of casting.

I hope I’m on the right track with the KYO-SHOAMI school. Can someone please confirm this or point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ed

i do confess, i am not convinced here! - but well......up to its design to research first....not?

( honestly speaking but!- this is neither antique!- nor authentic sorrowly!- least- mine eyes)

Hi Christian,

If you are not convinced, please tell me why. Do you see signs of cast iron? I have posted this Tsuba to learn something and maybe some other members can also learn from it.

Best regards,

Ed

Yepp- i do so...

the iron does look cast and i can not see any slightest "feel" of a punch or surface treatment.

I do miss the typical use of wear ( of age)- of the iron surface equally....

i already did see your´s Tsuba in question this very morning while browsing...

i but do equally remember me well about a modern Japanese Tsubashi´s Name who did produce decarbonised Tsuba, selling these in the 90´s ,in a kind of "casting of in traditionally done manner" of popular Edo-period designs...

i am but shure i will find it....

just a matter of time and space....

i do remember a name of a modern American bladesmith who offered such kind of a Tsuba in last years....

He but always did offer them as Modern! made, by contemporary artist- as i do remember me well...

actually i sorrowly can not be of help to you....have to sight for the names first...

i´ll forward you the essentials...

do throw me a PM!

Christian

• Like 1

Here's a Japanese site that is making/selling repro tsuba. 

EDIT:  I have moved this post to the Izakaya section. Just being careful that these aren't sold as antique.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for posting!

To all,

The texture of the Tsuba I posted looks a little bit different. How to determine if real is the big question. I will post some other photos tomorrow. Hopefully the quality of the photos are better. Are there any details you guys want to see?

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Ed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..