To Seppa Or Not To Seppa?

Windy

Having recently got my hands on a nice Type 98, the subsequent clean up (was liberally caked in grease) left the tsuba a little loose. I've bought a couple of brass seppa and also have some brown leather which makes a decent enough fix.

The trouble is, where either option does the job nicely, the extra spacing is rendering the saya latch ineffective. Is there a way around this, or just something I'll have to live with?

Two options:

-*Carefully* filing down the latch until it matches the new seppa height.

-Shimming the saya, I have used wooden veneer method to great effect on many swords. The latch will still not work but the sword will be tightly fitted in the saya.

I have used both, but filing down the latch is risky, they are often a little fragile.

I'd not be making any alterations myself. To avoid the loose tsuka which may eventually cause damage if constantly rattling, I'd add the leather seppa.

Unless this is already a parts sword, I'd not consider altering it irrevocably for any reason. The saya latch is a small concern, unless you plan on throwing it around anyway.

• Like 2

Cheers guys. To be honest, wasn't keen on making any permanent alterations to the furniture of the sword.

The brass seppa I bought tightens everything up just right, only consequence is that the latch won't engage, which is to be expected.

Once the tsuka is on tight, takes a couple of firm taps (onto a soft pad of leather), there is just a very slight wiggle on the tsuba.

One leather seppa or a pair of repro brass seppa (Nine Circles) seem to make it just right.....bar the latch no longer engaging.

Try using thinner leather or only one leather seppa or one less brass seppa.  I've also used (I'll never admit it) black poster paper (edge blackened with magic maker) to get tsuba/tsuka to fit right.  Just a thought.

Rich

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..