Anyone Ever See A Blade Like This? Reversed?

obiwanknabbe

Dear Kurt.

My first thought was that this might be Satsuma age but from the description, (At least what Google translate makes of it!) they seem to suggest that this is something else. The other puzzle is what exactly is left of the boshi?   It certainly looks as if it would not be what is left after shortening a damaged kissaki.  I wonder what has been happening at the habaki moto?

I look forward to others opinions.

All the best.

I am guessing this is the same sword: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/10213-shinto-wakizashi-i-spotted-at-a-flea-market-today/

At least I get the feeling when I look at the weird tip, and also you can see the black dimples that show as white dimples due to lighting of Meirin Sangyo pictures.

They are advertising it as sakabatō that was famous in anime/manga Rurouni Kenshin where main character had a reverse bladed sword. However I think this is intentionally made like this and edge is in regular side. I'm away from my books so I can't check info of this blade type but I think this might be an oddity that might not gotten into terminology books.

• Like 3

Hah! 

I am guessing this is the same sword: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/10213-shinto-wakizashi-i-spotted-at-a-flea-market-today/

At least I get the feeling when I look at the weird tip, and also you can see the black dimples that show as white dimples due to lighting of Meirin Sangyo pictures.

They are advertising it as sakabatō that was famous in anime/manga Rurouni Kenshin where main character had a reverse bladed sword. However I think this is intentionally made like this and edge is in regular side. I'm away from my books so I can't check info of this blade type but I think this might be an oddity that might not gotten into terminology books.

Hah! I used to watch Kenshin when I was a kid! 

Anyways, I think its just a oddly reshaped kissaki. Everything else about it looks normal. It also looks like it was damaged near the Hamachi as well.

They are advertising it as sakabatō that was famous in anime/manga Rurouni Kenshin where main character had a reverse bladed sword. 

Nope, the curvature is wrong in this blade in front of a Rurouni Kenshin sakabato. Might be they mean she "has a reversed cutting edge" for gardening. 

The Japanese have been always been creative with their blades. I honestly feel like sometimes there just isn't an answer.. or a classification. Check out this European influenced "pirate sword" a friend had me research a couple years back. Gimei sadamune.

post-1842-0-38232000-1503982645_thumb.jpg

post-1842-0-50228400-1503982697_thumb.jpg

post-1842-0-44510700-1503982738_thumb.jpg

post-1842-0-50696900-1503982778_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..