Any Shin Gunto With "battle Scars"?

PNSSHOGUN

I have a special order Ki Masayoshi from 1818 that appears to be put into service during WW2 which sustained some damage to the fuchi and also has a few kirikomi on the mune. I’m not sure if the damage to the fuchi was caused by a round or shrapnel striking the tsuka, but it sure gives the impression that this blade has seen its fair share of combat and self defense.

Mark

post-4484-0-46869400-1534559297_thumb.jpeg

post-4484-0-87592600-1534559318_thumb.jpeg

post-4484-0-40231600-1534559336_thumb.jpeg

post-4484-0-21674900-1534559371_thumb.jpeg

post-4484-0-29076400-1534559390_thumb.jpeg

post-4484-0-30203600-1534559405_thumb.jpeg

post-4484-0-76688400-1534559460_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Well,  this is somewhat odd as I found this post today and read it and saw a few ghost story requests.   This is 100pct true, last night the ghost came by actually, early probably 2-3 am but I did not look at the time as I did not care as I am thoroughly used to it.  

Anyway,  I hit the sack and fall into a good sleep and a exciting dream.   In this dream I am in WW2 and assaulting a Japanese island,  I am on a sort of small fast powered boat with another Marine,  There are other boats coming in with us,  maybe a platoon worth of guys.    Anyway,  it is really vivid as close to being there as you are ever going to get.    We hit the beach and it is dark and gloomy,  no shooting.    There is a path and we are directed by a red patch to go to the left and head to the beach.

After I pass this guy there are a couple paths but I don't really know where everybody is.    I move a little ways and see a couple Japanese guys in the dark jungle gloom getting a machine gun set in a road junction so I shoot a couple rounds that way and they take off.

All of a sudden I wake up, and wonder why, as I want to go back to the dream, then all of a sudden a push a air from above hits me and I know it is a spirit happening and ignore it.  You can feel the spirit and you can also know when it is over which usually is just 20 - 50 seconds max.    Of course all these fun and games is going to cost you extra when i sell ;-)   Best regards,  Bob

• Like 4

I wish it was the bottle, but it actually happened.   I know it is hard to believe but it is what it is.   Sometimes I actually see it during the day, a cloudy shape, sometimes white, sometimes blackish.    But it could be a multitude of things as I have a personal effects collection of cave and battlefield finds I dug.  None of those things were left in the dirt on a positive note.

If you read posts going back years, you will see there are some members like Bob that have experienced "supernatural" things and this has been discussed before.
Most of us aren't believers. But let's allow others to relate and express their feelings, and let's not be "those guys" who ridicule others' beliefs.
So yes, he is being serious, and that is fine. Japanese folklore is full of myths and spirits and esoteric subjects. It's all good.

• Like 4

No "ridicule" intended, or even expressed. I am actually interested in Bob's experience, and was just double checking that he was being serious with us. Being relative new to NMB, I have not seen previous posts on the subject. My mind is always open to other views.     

• Like 2

Here is something similar that was on 'Coast to Coast A.M." last night,  I haven't listened to the show yet on podcast but will,   sounds a little bizarre but who knows.   There is not much I can do about it unless I want to go the next step with ghosthunters or a priest.   I was close a couple years ago but have become used to it.

In the latter half, author and expert on Shadow People and the Hat Man, Heidi Hollis, discussed these dark supernatural figures that she believes menace people globally, and seem to be on the rise. Shadow People are dark entities that can shape-shift into a variety of amorphous forms, some of which resemble humans, she suggested, and one of their actions is to lay on people and paralyze them. She differentiates this experience from sleep paralysis because of the specificity of the beings, described similarly from people around the world.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2018/08/23

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

You will have to look hard to see the damage here, Blade is "dirty" in photos, but quite clear in normal viewing by eye.

You might notice a tiny chip in the edge in the monouchi in pic 6513 and another a few cm away in pic 6520, As there is also a slight bend in the monouchi at this area I think this bend and chips might be the result of cutting through someone's equipment (belt, sling etc) when striking the enemy. Previous owner to me was a Lt. Col. in Australian Army and I am sure he did not play with it in the yard or let his kids play with it...so almost 100% sure it is war damage.

Blade is a mumei  Owakizashi of 59 cm, Mino-den and looks like a copy of a Momoyama or Nanbockucho period osuriage sword, probably made in Shinshinto by Aizu Mino den (maybe a Kanesada?) who made many such blades, often unsigned,  Type 98 fittings are excellent quality,  and it has a mon.

Hope this is of some interest...even though damage is "slight".

Regards,

Edit: as it is a civilian blade under the minimum gunto length, I am certain this is one of the civilian purchase blades acquired by the Army in 1942 onwards as described by Nick Komiya in a recent post. Under this scheme the army would purchase blades down to 54 cm.

post-470-0-37337900-1544170309_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-71686300-1544170437_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-58374500-1544170464_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

History / Summary

This Japanese sword was captured in action at Marova, New Georgia, by Major D.G. Kennedy, D.S.O. Major Kennedy was formerly a member of the British Solomon Islands administration and an outstanding leader of the coast watchers in that area in 1942- 1943. His exploits are described in Commander E. A. Feldt's book "The Coastwatchers" and in "Among Those Present", an official U.K. publication.

Outstanding among his many clashes with the Japanese was an action between his ten ton schooner "Dadavata" and a patrol of Japanese in a whaleboat during which the whaleboat was rammed and all the Japanese accounted for. It was during this action that the sword was captured. Major Kennedy's account as to how the sword became broken is as follows: "It was broken by a bullet fired by me from a Browning "50" at the same time as the Japanese N.C.O. who wore it fired a burst from a Bren gun from which I collected a bullet in the leg. This was at Marovo lagoon in New Georgia in May 1943 in an encounter between my native scouts and a Japanese patrol which was hunting for us." The incident is described in "Among Those Present" page 52. The sword is broken in two places. One break approximately 4 inches from the hilt bears the mark of a bullet but the other break 5 inches from the point is unaccounted for.

• Like 5