Iaido?

I'd look for something recently mounted and cheaper. I seem to remember another JP website posted here that had more swords setup for Iaido (and at more reasonable price) than Aoi. While I don't really go in for using older Nihonto for Iai, there are plenty of good options from Taisho/Showa.

• Like 1

As always, the first and foremost rule of getting a sword for iai is "ask your sensei" :) A blade that might be fine for a Jikiden iaidoka who's 5' 10" might not be for a Shinden iaidoka who's 5' 10", and so on...

I do agree with John and Rayhan that I'd prefer something that already has an iai koshirae. In addition, blades used for budo have a slightly different polish to those meant for appreciation - I suspect the polish on this one would be the latter. The price is also an issue - compare it to some of the swords here in the similar length range with full koshirae: http://www.e-sword.jp/iai.htm

• Like 2

I would discourage all but the most advanced student from using such a blade. Iai could only damage a sword like this, not improve it. ......

-t

I can only underline this statement plus the fact that a GENDAITO (in fact all steel blades, sharp or not) is a dangerous piece of metal in the hands of anyone in a DOJO. 

Agree with all, just found it strange aoi would offer it as such.

My guess is that it's a clerical error on their end - the description itself doesn't mention anything about the sword being suitable for iai, which Aoi Art typically does whenever a blade is listed (and just about all such blades in the past have had koshirae included).

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..