Katana - Suriage Ura Inscription

FletchSan

Interested in a few thoughts on an inscription I have on a Kanemoto Katana which has NTHK-NPO papers though doesn't mention which generation.

It has a fairly regular sunbonsugi hamon with some areas of irregularity and a jizo boshi.

The sword is dated and has an inscription of ownership which I have had translated.

So the puzzling observation I have is that the date and inscription (in particular the date) are quite high up on the nakago, and assuming the lowest hole on the nakago was the original (you can see where the Hamachi was above the lowest mekugi-ana on the 1st pic attached), then the date and inscription would have been added later. The Kanemoto signature on the other side is below the lowest mekugi-ana so all good there.

The date is 1557 so I had assumed possible 3rd generation Kanemoto though perhaps it may be earlier and the date reflects when the sword passed to its new owner and suriage was performed?

thanks,

Ben

post-3412-0-60519500-1503741359_thumb.jpg

post-3412-0-77468500-1503741554_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken,

Sorry, I was focused on the inscription and realisation that it must have been added when the sword was shortened vs. made and hence may be earlier than the date :)

I guess it also raises the question about how long after a sword is made would suriage be typically be done. I guess the answer is anytime and may just be due to requirements of the new owner or current fashion in respect to length & fittings.

There are photos in this post I created a few months ago, it's the one with Futasuji-hi on both sides.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/22628-kanemoto-daisho/

I have also attached a scan that is fairly terrible though does show the change in the hamon from regular to irregular sanbonsugi.

cheers,

Ben

post-3412-0-56182400-1503885603_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..