Hopefully A Little Help From You Knowledgeable Guys!

James,

good photos of the NAKAGO (and of the whole blade) would help a lot! Perhaps the name is a bit different to read.

Please compare and research 濃州関住兼幸

NOSHÛ SEKI no JÛ KANEYUKI TSUKURU KORE, swordsmith ID-list KAN 3157, SHOWA JIDAI

No I'm not brave enough for eBay not for this kind of thing anyway!

The description on the auction website says :

20th century Japanese katana sword with civilian mounts, iron tsuba with dragon chasing pearl, curved blade with wave hamon, signed on tang - 'Noshu Seki ju Kanesuki Tsukuvo Kove', in lacquered sheath, blade 62.5cm, 87cm overall

CONDITION REPORT

Some filling to blade and evidence of attempts to clean it

What are the rules on posting links to auction sites?

(Enter professional vs. amateur polishers argument here)

The correct answer is no. There are no professionally trained polishers in the U.K., no you shouldn't do it yourself, and the cost is approximately $100/inch. I am having a daito polished in Japan with a mukansa level polished (Abe Kazunori) and without habaki and without shirasaya, it will cost in the ballpark of $2,750 (usd). There are cheaper options, but read "cheaper" as saving hundreds of dollars, not thousands.

Hi James, from one Nr Manc to another, don't waste your money on this sword, better to buy a sword already in decent polish.

Especially if someone has gone over the blade with wire wool, could be hiding a crack (fatal).

You see various quality in polishing around the UK at shows and online, some dealers just wanting a basic clean up for a sale.

I hear Tony Norman down south does good work but very busy, expect to wait a long time, that's should he get the time wish to take it on.

There are various arms shows around the UK, the main one being Birmingham, google northern arms fairs and go take a look, just to get an idea. Don't buy swords online unless you know what your doing, plenty of great sellers but sadly sellers out there waiting for unaware eager buyers, Ebay and the like being the worst, always ask if your unsure.

Read some books, plenty of advice on here, do a search.

You could speak to Bill at Liverpool Militaria, he might have something or know someone who does, he does the shows.

Finally, always be SURE about what you buy, otherwise its a one way ticket to buyers REMORSE, so no rush.

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice Alex,

I've spent some time at the arms fairs in the past but this is my first adventure into Swords,

I'm waiting on my book order ATM and will be doing a lot of reading!

And of course be hounding you guys with questions!

Les Stewart in Scotland and Tony Norman in Essex are two polishers I am familiar with in the UK but I have heard others mention the name of John Bolton.

They have not "graduated" officially and have not had the long Japan-based training SGJ is referring to above. Tony has exchanged ideas and been coached a bit by Abe San but that does not extend to apprenticed full training. The polishing skills of both Les and Tony have evolved a lot in the last 10 years and as far as I have been told (and have seen) they have polished Hozon and TH level swords which passed those levels after those two gentlemen had polished the blades. For full disclosure, I have not used the services of any UK polishers but have seen blades owned by friends, which were polished by them.

Just replied to your message Stephen,

The bidding went crazy through that whole sale, i'll bide my time save some money and get something nice rather than rushing in for a bout of buyers remorse!

Plus.... it gives me time to read the book that arrived in the post this morning ;)

And... keep showing the wife pictures of new Chinese junk that is cheap so I can play down how much it actually cost when I do buy!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..