Showato Vs Shinsakuto

I was curious where the line is drawn between showato (gendaito) and shinsakuto? Is it by date or is there some other defining factor? I know showa ended in 1989 with Hirohito's death, and then began the Heisei period..  So where does shinsakuto fall into this equation? 

I ask as there is a REALLY nice blade for sale in Japan that was made showa 59. Is there solid investment potential in these or do the suffer from new car depreciation?

Thanks as always

Kurt k

My understanding is that Showato are always non-traditionally made swords; gendaito are modern traditionally made swords since the end of Shinshinto. Shinsakuto are newly made swords in the traditional manner, so perhaps there is overlap in the definition with gendaito.

• Like 1

The main differentiation between gendaito and shinsakuto is the date. One common differentiation and the one I prescribe to, is the legalization of sword manufacture - 1953. Anything after that is shinsakuto, anything before is gendaito (non-traditional war era swords being showato). As far as an investment, I believe late showa swords are EXCELLENT investments as they are relatively low priced, compared to a similar quality gendaito that is just 15 years older. In 10-15 years the price should (emphasis on non-commital response), bounce really nicely especially as shinsa panels begin giving TH and eventually Juyo designation to blades of this/these eras.

• Like 2

Hello:

In my experience the term "Showato" tends to be treated more or less the same as "Gunto", ie, a blade made non-traditionally for military or naval use during Japanese expansionism and war during the 1930s and early 1940s. As Steve says shinsakuto are traditionally made and the term is applied to those made after WWII. When someone speaks of "investment" potential, which could start at zero, that is something entirely different. Buying a bundle of Gunto blades could lead to a tidy "profit" if that is your object and they are not traditional at all. When risk - a very big deal - is figured in, art and "investment" tend to be like oil and water.

Arnold F.

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..