Hori Mikaduki Taikei Naotane On Auction

Ray, what do you make of the sword having already been sold once?  I noticed that too.  The charitable view is that the buyer didn't pay, but they usually put a blade on hold, waiting for payment I assume.  The less charitable view is that the buyer received it and sent it back.  I don't know Tsuruta San's policies and routines.  

That sword made me wonder about another thing.  What is the effect of a blade being custom made on value and collector sentiment?  Do you like them better if they have the name of the guy that ordered them on it or do you prefer that they not have that?  I am torn about it.  I can imagine in some cases that the maker pushes out of their usual comfort zone to make something unusual, but in the few cases that I have had custom ordered blades, I have not been able to find out anything about the owner that it was made for, so it's just some guy's name on the blade, and not somebody that is notable or a name that adds meaningfully to the provenance.  Of course, if the name on the blade is the emperor......

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..