Samurai Art Museum Unusual Weapons.

Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini

Dear Carlo.

This is an unusual style of yari and its saya.  There is a similar example illustrated in one of Knutsen's books, the more recent I believe.  The example he shows is in the Horniman Museum from memory.  I have not noticed them in any other reference but they remind me f some of the more extreme arms illustrated in some samurai prints.  (R and P Knutson, "Japanese Spears", 2014, Plate 16 described as "The awesome Ono-no-yari from the Horniman Museum Collection..... This must surely have been made as a parade weapon from its very size.")

Looks like a nice display.

All the best.

• Like 5

Well, actually in hiragana on the axe, it says "Break, in case if emergency," explaining all the shortened yari we see! Haha!

All joking aside, that is weird. Depending on the age of the yari, didn't even think that axe heads of that design as such existed or were created in the Far East in that time? Almost looks of a European design, could have been in trade from the Dutch or the yari a "younger example?"

• Like 1

Dear Carlo.

This is an unusual style of yari and its saya.  There is a similar example illustrated in one of Knutsen's books, the more recent I believe.  The example he shows is in the Horniman Museum from memory.  I have not noticed them in any other reference but they remind me f some of the more extreme arms illustrated in some samurai prints.  (R and P Knutson, "Japanese Spears", 2014, Plate 16 described as "The awesome Ono-no-yari from the Horniman Museum Collection..... This must surely have been made as a parade weapon from its very size.")

Looks like a nice display.

All the best.

Now that you've mentioned Knutsen I remember it and checked . You are right :-)

I think, this example is not intended to be used. There is another one in a privat collection, very similar to Peter's display item (for sale, BTW). Another axe is in the collection of the "Überseemuseum" in Bremen. Quite different, though. I've a pic somewhere.....

• Like 1

As Uwe mentioned, the item in the Samurai Art Museum Berlin is not intended to be used. It is a ceremonial axe with sword tip which is referred to as ken'iri-masakari (剣入鉞). This interpretation is a little bit different from a fusô (斧槍) which is a yari with a long tang that has an axe element around it. In other words, the ken'iri-masakari is basically an axe with a normal sword-style nakago ken added on top. 

Such ritual axes have a quite obvious symbolic meaning, namely "cutting through the sins". As also Buddhist ritual swords have basically that meaning, you have here a good "combo," i.e. cutting off and cutting through the sins." 

FYI: The axe part is indeed made of steel but it is not sharpened. It has engravings of a dragon in clouds and the sword has a Fudô-Myôô on waterfall horimono. The piece is super heavy BTW :)

• Like 11

As Alex has said they do appear in prints, especially those showing Benkei, but I have never seen one in the flesh. There is another specimen of an axe illustrated in George Cameron Stone's 'Glossary of Arms & Armour ....' that has a curved saya that just fits over the cutting edge. He acquired some very interesting and rare items including a Japanese crossbow similar to one acquired by the Royal Armouries. That is now in the Met. Museum. in New York so I assume the axe will be there also.

Ian Bottomley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..