Introduction By Ian Bottomley - Samurai Arts Museum

DaveT

Exellent work.

Fine to see many juyo and Tokubetsu juyo swords,and Koshira, Kabuto, Menpo and juyo Yoroi, but i think only a few people knows that a lot of these top items comes from me over the last 18 years.

Tom

• Like 2

The images of Peter Janssen's museum is very much a taster. To actually see the items in the flesh is an experience I find hard to describe in words. To be able to stand in front of a case containing about 20 superb somen (full face masks) is something you would struggle to do anywhere else - even in Japan, and there are others scattered elsewhere. What is perhaps even more remarkable is the fine original condition of almost everything. A few helmets and one armour have obviously been re-laced, but almost all the swords had their original bindings and in many cases their sageo too. It is difficult to concentrate on any one item as you are constantly spotting and being drawn to something else. I spent days looking at things and I know I didn't give half the collection the attention many of the exhibits deserve.

A truly remarkable experience.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..