Ebay Sword

This item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112522233866

My name is being attached to followup discussions by this seller. They contacted me saying it was a family blade and they wanted to understand the value and possibly sell it. 

I told them I felt very good about the mei on first glance but it needed to be studied. When asked about consignment I said I can't do that without getting Japanese authorities to sign off on the mei, as a solid opinion will reduce risk for the buyer and increase valuation for the seller. 

The seller is promoting this on ebay as being completely genuine by everyone's opinions consulted. That was certainly not the picture I painted for them. My initial very positive opinion was presented with a degree of uncertainty and as requiring further study and ultimately my opinion was not the critical aspect, but authentication by authorities was and there was no guarantee of that happening.

My name has subsequently been attached in discussion of a $20k valuation, as well as one of the people who consulted as-per the eBay listing and them it is assumed that since all experts gave "absolutely genuine" as a response, that I must be one of these people.

This resulted in my friend sending me email "Did you really value this at $20k?" The seller did not come out and say this was my valuation, but said it has been valued at this much, and at the end of their email, said they had extensive discussions with me on it.

For the sake of clarity:

I did not examine this piece other than looking at the photos which are now on eBay.

I did not and do not give an opinion as absolutely genuine.

I did not and do not give a valuation of $20k. 

Furthermore, I did not make any offer of my own after researching the signature so that should tell you what you need to know about my own conclusions.

I've asked the seller to stop using my name to promote the authenticity and valuation of their piece.

• Like 1

We have sent this sword to a handful of experts, in the states and in Japan, and all have their opinions of being completely authentic.

BIG difference sending pictures of the sword, and sending the sword itself. I assume they did the former, since if it was in Japan, may as well have sent to shinsa.

Interesting koshirae anyways. Love to know what it does get kantei'd to.

I did not even check, photos being upside down. Thanks Lloyd. Without any kanteisho, it is considered as gimei so overpriced unless someone wants to take the risk, but there is a big ware.... so once again overpriced

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..