The Best Sword Museums In Japan?

Hi All, I'm planning a trip to Japan next year and would love to take in some sword museums or publicly displayed collections that are recommended.

We'll be travelling around so Tokyo, Kyoto, possibly Nara but would happily travel for a great museum or display. Any recommendations gladly received. Many thanks.

Hello Joel:

There are Japanese National Museums in Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara, and each will have displays of swords and armor. The quality will be high, usually usefully labeled, and the best thing is that each Museum with have other galleries showing the other physical artifacts of the times during which the samurai existed. Those things, sometimes on Zen themes, and of great interest to members of that group, such as sumi-e paintings, tea ceremony items, and the like, always highly complementary to that life and eras, add a lot of aesthetic appreciation and understanding, and will be found in other on site galleries in the same buildings.

Arnold F.

• Like 1

I visited last year Japanese Sword Museum in Shibuya so would recommend it, Also there are tons nice books for sale in Japanese and even few in english.

Here is a link: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1066456-d2419643-Reviews-The_Japanese_Sword_Museum-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Lukas

• Like 1

The sword museum (and home of the NBTHK) that was wedged between Shibuya and Shinjuku is now closed, and will reopen in a new location (Sumida-ku) in January 2018.

http://touken.or.jp/pdf/h2904_iteninfo.pdf

I can highly recommend the Bizen Osafune museum and workshop. It is a bit off the beaten path, but it is an easy day trip from Kyoto/Osaka. 

• Like 1

National museum is a hit or miss. They display one or two major artifacts everyday. I was unlucky and got a scroll. There a few national treasure swords that may go on display every now and then. It's on a rotation basis. If you go you need to check what's the treasure on display that day - or adapt your schedule as to get to see one of the major swords. No idea if its listed anywhere, but you can call to make sure.  

The rest of the swords exposed there weren't even close to the sword museum. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..