2017 Tokyo Dti Special Events

Tokyo DTI Additional Events

Wed. Nov. 15th Kamakura Sword Study Group will offer a sword study and dinner party again in Ginza at the Italian Restaurant Cinq (same venue as previous years).  Location is quite convenient.  Sword study is yen 5,000 (for the venue) and the dinner party will be sponsored by Hisashi Saito of Seikodo. Date will be Wednesday Nov. 15th.  Arrival time will be from 5:00 p.m. for the sword study. Dinner party will follow the sword study at around 7:00 ... Attendance by advance reservation only. Please notify Robert Hughes (keichodo@yahoo.com) as soon as possible!

Friday Nov. 17th Yakatabune Tokyo Bay Cruise.....Arrangements: This event is tentatively scheduled for Friday, November 1th, but final determination to proceed will depend on the number of interested participants.  As in the past, participants would leave from in front of DTI at 6:30 p.m. Cruise to start from 7:00 p.m. Participation by advance reservation only.  Notification to attend is also a commitment to pay if event is held...Cost yen 10,500 per participant. Please notify Robert Hughes (keichodo@yahoo.com) as soon as possible! Minimum number of participants is 20....the magic number!

If you have an interest in attending either one of these events, please contact Robert Hughes at keichodo@yahoo.com....Hope to see you in Japan!

• Like 2

If you are attending the DTI and are unsure about attending these events please consider it as these are really fun and educational. Typically events that we all look forward to every year, relatively inexpensive, and hosted by Robert who does a fantastic job. 

• Like 2

just pay the money and do it, I'm a no-collecting novice that was helped by many members, and met many people.

the kamakura study group is beyond great, handled many stunning blades in the kantei, and by far the most pleasing ubu ko-kizen tachi I have ever layed eyes on.

if I'm lucky I can try and do it again, the hard part .....

Guido's jokes hahahha, they are good if not wrong. my only regret was being to reserved as I didn't want to offend or look silly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little friendly bump :) .

The Sword Study Group is an absolute must: great items, great lecture, great food & drinks. The yakatabune is equally worth attending.

I'll attend both events, especially since Bob doesnt let me escape the cruise; he sent me the message

Do come to the boat party as you are the founding member...of floating debauchery.....

:glee:

And please don't let my presence hold you back from attending ;-) : I promise that I'll not sing karaoke again, and probably my wife will come, too, to keep me on a short leash anyhow  :o .

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what's wrong with the DTI visitors this year - we had maybe less than half the usual number of participants of both the study group and yakatabune! :( It needs 20 people to break even on the yakatabune booking, but only 16 signed up - that means Bob had to pay for 4 out of his own pocket!!! Make it up to him by buying lots of swords and fittings from him (at least that was my contribution ;-)).

Jeez, what has the world come to if I even have to bring my own wife along to fill another seat ... :glee:

post-12-0-03783400-1510987023_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I enjoyed it more when the DTI was held near the end of October-early November, rather than later in November, like it is now. It was always great to be able to attend the Yabusame (horseback archery) and martial arts exhibitions at the Meiji shrine on November 3rd. It was always one of the highlights of my trip. I really wish they would move the DTI show dates back to early November like it was before. It might attract more USA attendees. Notwithstanding that, I would love to see some photos from those members who were able to attend this years DTI. 

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi) 

• Like 1

Well, all of the above mentioned reasons didn't stop non-Japanese from visiting the DTI this year - I saw and spoke to people from France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Russia, China, Great Britain, Canada, Australia, and yes, quite a few from the US. It just seems that only a few were interested in the education and comradery the two events we're talking about provide. :dunno:

• Like 3

Unfortunately it stopped me, as I have to be in Japan for the early part of November every year.

I attended the Kamakura Benkyokai both when it was actually in Kamakura and at Cinq.

It was way over my head but a tremendous learning experience and as you rightly say, camaraderie.

Please enjoy a fond memory:

• Like 2

I must apologize for my absence from the DTI for a number of years.  I have been in hibernation for a while; mainly, due to a postgraduate course that I was doing while working full-time.  Another reason is that the dates tend to clash with my annual visit to Okutama, to enjoy koyo (the autumn leaves).

The good news is that my masters is complete so, all being well, I might be able to make it to Shinagawa for the 2018 gathering.  I could bring my wife too, dressed in her favourite kimono!  She has never been on a yakatabune or met Bob, Guido and their shipmates so she might well be tempted.

We could call it "Wilson's come back tour 2018"  :clap:

Something for us all to look forward to :beer:

• Like 5

Well, all of the above mentioned reasons didn't stop non-Japanese from visiting the DTI this year - I saw and spoke to people from France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Russia, China, Great Britain, Canada, Australia, and yes, quite a few from the US. It just seems that only a few were interested in the education and comradery the two events we're talking about provide. :dunno:

I would like to thank the friends of this community that I had the pleasure of meeting at my first DTI, you were very kind, along the way of studying the sword there is also friendship!  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..