Teppo Performance Research

My friend Doug Scott has begun to assemble observations of bullets fired by pre-20th Century firearms as baseline data for archeological investigation of pre-modern battlefields and conflict sites. Early this winter I will be taking doing another round  of experimental/replicative muzzle loading firearms research. Emphasis so far has been on late 18th century flintlock arms,  but this year, Doug has agreed to get some data on the ballistics and performance of matchlocks. I just happen to have one of the modern Dixie Arms tanegashima repros so we will begin with it. For experimental purposes I do not expect to approach historical replication or reenactment behavior.  I plan to use standard muzzle-loading procedures as a baseline.  We will use a chronograph to get ballistic speed  and ballistic gel to address impact behavior. We will also do systematic metal detection to recover slugs. All of which is pretty artificial, but you have to start somewhere!

I hope someone in this community can point me to Japanese literature on Japanese matchlock operation and performance. Is research of this type being done in Japan? If so has it been reported? Might there be a Japanese audience for this kind of study?

I realize this is a naïve request, but you have to start somewhere!
Thanks.
Peter

Peter,  The Royal Armouries did a load of ballistics tests back in 1998 using the Royal Ordnance facility of a Sabre Sky Screen to measure velocities, and sheets of 2mm mild steel as an indication of penetration. Amongst the variety of weapons tested was a replica of a matchlock of the type ordered by Henry VIII for his troops from Gardone in Italy, a longbow drawing 90lbs and two crossbows, the main one having a steel bow with a draw weight of 440lbs. Of interest to you was the fact that with a 90gr charge of black powder the average initial velocity of the matchlock was 520.10 m/s, the best velocity being 520.10 m/s. With charge of 65gr these figures reduced to 440.05 m/s and 442.30 m/s and with a 50gr charge 378.65 m/s and 386.00 m/s. With the 65gr charge the gun easily pierced two 2mm sheets of steel placed beyond the Sky Screen, and with the 90gr charge a third sheet had the depression just beginning to break open on the back.  From these results it is obvious why the introduction of the gun had such a profound effect on armour. They also indicate that a plate armour was an adequate protection from arrows provided they didn't find chinks.

For comparison the longbow shot a poplar arrow with a type 16 head at 44.40 m/s and the crossbow with a poplar bolt with a square head 41.40 m/s. Neither the arrows, fitted with all manner of heads, nor the bolts. again with different heads and weights, managed to penetrate a 2mm sheet of steel.  

These data should give you something of a baseline. 

Ian Bottomley

• Like 1

Thank you Malcolm and Ian. These are useful insights. The issues addressed by the Royal Armouries research are very interesting and I will seek to explore them. The katchu forum is also clearly going to be useful. The reality is the the NMB is just so easy to use that it "the place to start." Thanks again!

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..