Reason Behind Polishing Styles

Hey all,

On many swords i have noticed that the hardened edge may be a tight gunome or wild billowing midare, yet when polished with the hazuya, the gunome gets polished as if it were suguha and the midare gets polshed as if it were notare.. Why is this done? I have heard some say that following the lines exactly would look garish but if that was the smiths intent, why is it not honored in the fininshing steps? I use as an ex the following:

Thanks for your input

Kurt K

post-2510-0-76112800-1502904836_thumb.jpg

Hi Kurt:

You need to check Hadori vs sashikomi polish. With hadori polish, you get a very white line showing you where to look for the hamon. It is the style of polish that is fashionable now.  When well done it is fine, but when overdone it looks like a person with too much makeup. 

• Like 5

I am fully aware of sashikomi vs hadori, but my questions is  why  (like in the case above) does it not try to more faithfully follow the lines on more complex hamon structure? Its just my opinion but it strikes me as a lazy polish (wartime perhaps?) With the  current aim of polish being preservation and apprecaition of the original work, it seems at odds with intentionally "painting outside the lines" of what the smith intended to create. Take for example blades forged in hitatsura where in one case the details are highlighted but in another, most of it is ignored in the polish.

Goto%20Boshi%20Rte.jpg

VS

Hitatsura.jpg This blade is clearly hitatsura but the polisher did not polish it as such.

Examples like this are at the heart of my question. Again, as for thinking it looks like having too much makeup, the wild hamon is what the smith intended, so why not honor that in the best way possibe rather than applying modern aesthetic values which in some cases, ignore that intent? I realize that polishing techniques evolved but would it not be better to bring the style of the day to its apex? 

• Like 1

I feel your question highlights the variability based on the experience and skill of the polisher rather than a conscious selection of the polish style. I understand that a polisher is supposed to follow the intent of the smith in determining the type and style of polish. Less experienced, less trained polishers might have a smaller portfolio on which to apply to a sword - so they apply what they know whether or not its appropriate for the blade. This is why some polishers are considered top notch versus others that may be lower on the scale.

• Like 3

I think the hitatsura blades you show as example are completely different era blades and this style Harmon was very different over time. Also one is black and white and one a color photo.

I understand your question and while I don't have your answer just thought I'd point this out. Early hitatsura was more like light tobiyaki or yubashiri. Later it was definitely more forced.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..