Mailing Swords To The Usa From The Uk

Not that the USA needs any more weapons but I have a couple of blades I need to get over there. 

I haven't had to do this sort of shipping for some time now and was wondering what experiences members here in the UK have had and if there were any recommendations as to the best options.

Thanks in advance for any help.

regards to all

Ford

Hi Ford

A friend shipped a wakazashi to the USA last week and it arrived trouble free within 3 days. He used parcelforce standard delivery. The problem with them is insurance as they will not insure antiques. So depending on the value of the blades you may not wish to take the chance.

Not in the very recent past I have also used them (Since Fedex stopped accepting swords there has been little alternative.)

As always make sure the description is clear and accurate to prevent customs hold ups.

regards

Paul

• Like 1

book it online for collection at the post office or from home it is generally cheaper and if you plan to have it collected from the post office the jobsworth has no involvement other than taking the parcel over the counter. (worked for me anyway)

US has to many weapon? Huh... first I heard of it. Just because my safe is full of guns doesn't mean we don't need more. I stopped counting after I reached 50 firearms. Remember an armed society if a polite society.

When guns are outlawed only the outlaws will have them. ????

I have had good luck with EMS. AOI Japan, and three other sellers from the Asia/Europe area have sent me items with zero issues. It gets transferred to standard USPS once EMS has delivered to customs. There should be no tariffs or fees from customs, especially if the sword is over 100 years old.

• Like 3

Hi Ford

A friend shipped a wakazashi to the USA last week and it arrived trouble free within 3 days. He used parcelforce standard delivery. The problem with them is insurance as they will not insure antiques. So depending on the value of the blades you may not wish to take the chance.

Not in the very recent past I have also used them (Since Fedex stopped accepting swords there has been little alternative.)

As always make sure the description is clear and accurate to prevent customs hold ups.

regards

Paul

From memory, don't think there is any tracking on standard delivery once its left the UK.

Have the rules changed recently Paul?, they took money off me at the post office for insurance on a few swords over the last couple of years, around £160 to cover £2500.

Hi Alex

As said I haven't shipped anything in a while. Whenever I have questioned it I was always told the Post office and Parcelforce will not insure antiques. I dont think this is new and it may have changed in recent months but if so I am not aware of it.

Best Regards

paul

It's a bit cheaper to post directly from the Parcelforce depot if you have one nearby. You can also sign up for a free parcelforce rewards discount card that gives you 15% off all shipping.

You also need to use Parcelforce Global Priority to ship swords to the USA. You get full tracking with this service and it's fast.

• Like 1

Hi Paul

thanks for that, Jo tried our local PO but Parcelforce down here are refusing it. A local Jobsworth I think.  

That's because Parcelforce and every other shipping company in the UK refuse to ship swords. Don't ask me why, probably due to ludicrous health and safety laws as usual!

If you take your sword along to the Post Office and say, I want to post this to the USA, the jobsworths behind the counter will ask what is it?  Being that your an honest upstanding citizen, you'll no doubt say its a Japanese sword. I then guarantee that the numpty behind the counter will say that swords are not allowed and will refuse to accept it.

The only way, that I know of at least, to get around this is to book your shipment online via parcel2go or similar and basically lie about what your shipping.

I usually write "golf club" or "fishing rod".  You then print out the paperwork and attach it to your parcel. Doesn't matter then if you drop it off at your local Post Office or have it collected. It's done and they don't ask what your shipping. This probably leaves you without a leg to stand on in regards to an insurance claim but postal insurance isnt worth a damn anyway in my experience.

If it's a seriously expensive sword, Fedex is probably the only way to go BUT get the buyer to pay for it up front. I've had a few cases where the buyer insisted on Fedex but never paid for it afterwards! 

That's because Parcelforce and every other shipping company in the UK refuse to ship swords. Don't ask me why, probably due to ludicrous health and safety laws as usual!

If you take your sword along to the Post Office and say, I want to post this to the USA, the jobsworths behind the counter will ask what is it?  Being that your an honest upstanding citizen, you'll no doubt say its a Japanese sword. I then guarantee that the numpty behind the counter will say that swords are not allowed and will refuse to accept it.

Ive learned just to say "its an old antique sword in wooden scabbard", I don't mention Japan apart from on the description that you need to fill in (country of origin). On the description i will write "old antique sword in wooden scabbard, 300 years old (or whatever age)", along with the customs tariff reference. I don't mention Japan to the staff member because I don't want them thinking "Samurai sword", which may raise an eyebrow.

The biggest issue I encountered was an impolite staff member behind the counter, she just took one look at the long box and said "you cant post that". Really annoying as I had already checked online. We got there in the end, although I no longer go to that post office, I prefer to drive 5 miles to the guy that does not create hassles.

I think in future I will do the online thing, was unaware, but sounds a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that the USA needs any more weapons but I have a couple of blades I need to get over there. 

I haven't had to do this sort of shipping for some time now and was wondering what experiences members here in the UK have had and if there were any recommendations as to the best options.

Thanks in advance for any help.

regards to all

Ford

Ford, if you (or anyone else) are successful in shipping your swords to the US can you post your method. I recently had a UK seller tell me he could not find any legit way to ship a sword I had purchased and he refunded my payment. He was reluctant to lie about the contents of his package and was turned down by every well known shipper he could find, thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..