Please Help A New Sword Owner

Matt H

I just inherited 2 Japanese swords that came back from Japan at the end of WWII and I'm trying to research as much as I can about them. I have spent the last few days trying to decipher this I'm not making much headway. If anyone would be willing to take a look at this one and share some information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

post-4188-0-33520600-1502890404_thumb.jpg

post-4188-0-42638500-1502890455_thumb.jpg

post-4188-0-79581900-1502890617_thumb.jpg

post-4188-0-41856700-1502890663_thumb.jpg

post-4188-0-00563900-1502890713_thumb.jpg

Hi Jussi,

I think you are confusing the Texan [Texan, first name please- as per forum rules]. We will try to help.

The signature on your sword claims to be made by the smith to which Jussi linked. Please compare the signature very closely for discrepancy, including direction of small strokes and question how identical they are. Not everything signed Van Gogh is a Van Gogh. Yet at quick glance it looks like a nice blade that someone might have 'upped' with a big name signature.

It happened ALOT, especially during the late 1800s.

• Like 2

Matt-

Welcome to the Deep Dive.

Yes, many many many things to indicate when and where it was made. There is more information present than can be found in a complete set of fingerprints.

Many unsigned blades can be attributed to specific schools and even specific makers at specific times.

I have migrated to mostly just collecting fittings. Hopefully some others can get you further along the road to understanding what you have.

A false signature doesn't mean much. It can still be a very good blade that a merchant simply wanted to add a name.

Thus some people remove signatures nearly as easily as others added them. I never have, so will leave it to others to discuss with you.

For starters, try and hook up with one of the better recommended collectors in Texas.

• Like 3

Dear Matt.

As regards the tsuka ito the irregularity is one clue but more than this, the twist in the centre of the tsuka usually alternates.  Have a look at some of the many swords on sites in the links section above.  The ito also looks unhappy over the menuki.

However, all this should not discourage you too much, ito is often renewed and of itself this isn't too great a problem.  What you have is a nice katana, with reasonable mounts that has been re wrapped.  (Oops, you don't give measurements so I assume it is a katana.)  Enjoy it for what it is and don't lose any sleep over the fact that it might be a false signature.

All the best.

• Like 2

Ah yes sorry Matt I was so brief, happy that Curran gave you more detailed info. I was in bit of a hurry when I posted so I just did translation part.

I try to focus on older swords so I am not too good with these "new" smiths (it's relative when you talk about 1600's). However to me the signature looks different from published examples by him. Like Curran said earlier I think you have good genuine Japanese sword, it just happens to have false signature of very famous maker.

I hope you will have fun time researching the swords you inherited and you might catch the bug for this hobby. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..