Two Netsuke

Akao

Hello,

I don’t know anything about netsuke, so I appeal to your knowledge !

Here two netsuke brought back by my great grandfather from Japan : he was a french naval officer and was in Japan circa1900.

One of the two is signed, H. 5,5 cm each, I'm interested in any element about it (iconography, etc.) 

Certainly not master piece, he was better officer than collector !  :laughing:

Thank you for yours comments,

Regards

post-3918-0-95488100-1502699956_thumb.jpg

post-3918-0-70516900-1502699995_thumb.jpg

post-3918-0-78518900-1502700032_thumb.jpg

post-3918-0-16935800-1502700079_thumb.jpg

post-3918-0-34334800-1502700143_thumb.jpg

post-3918-0-80620000-1502700192_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at these and unfortunately could not come up with anything definitive. 

The netsuke with the two figures are representing either someone of high-rank, or actors portraying such. The hats worn by the two figures are representative of someone with social rank, and I think their costumes and the fan also reflect this, but that's about where the guesswork ends. The red "signature" square is unusual. I don't know if the writing in the square is intended to be a signature or something else. It doesn't look like a name. It sort of looks like 一三川, which is too cryptic for me to figure out. The red color is enigmatic also. Interesting, but this is as far as I got.

The other netsuke stumps me as well. I was thinking it might be representing the god Hotei, and he is carrying what looks to be like a daikon radish, or possibly an eggplant (eggplant symbolic of fruitfulness).  

The first NETSUKE seems to be made of ivory; it is a better one, but with its lack of fine detail not top quality, as you already said.

The second NETSUKE is very probably made of bone, and it looks like amateur work ('peasant' style). We have to remember that in Japan of 1900, NETSUKE were not necessarily objets d' art, but still items for daily use as KIMONO have no pockets, and some pieces of equipment (SAGEMONO like INRÔ or KISERUZUTSU) had to be secured on the belt (OBI) with the help of a NETSUKE or MANJÛ.

Wealthy people could afford good quality NETSUKE, while lower classes had to content themselves with simple items, often not made by artists.  

The first NETSUKE seems to be made of ivory; it is a better one, but with its lack of fine detail not top quality, as you already said.

The second NETSUKE is very probably made of bone, and it looks like amateur work ('peasant' style). We have to remember that in Japan of 1900, NETSUKE were not necessarily objets d' art, but still items for daily use as KIMONO have no pockets, and some pieces of equipment (SAGEMONO like INRÔ or KISERUZUTSU) had to be secured on the belt (OBI) with the help of a NETSUKE or MANJÛ.

Wealthy people could afford good quality NETSUKE, while lower classes had to content themselves with simple items, often not made by artists.

I have Netsuke, which looks too detailed to be in my opinion actualy worn on belt, but it had two holes at the back. Does they made also Netsuke which had only decorative purposes.http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/23016-6-cm-netsuke-okimono/

Thank you,

Bojan S.

As the 19th century advanced the production of certain excessively decorative netsuke grew ever more elaborate. These "Netsuke" became jewel like in detail, ill suited to practical use they were the exquisite toys of those who could afford them....their sole purpose was to be SEEN.

-StevenK

Dear All,

Many thanks for your answers !

Unfortunately I can not send you more pictures, the netsuke are in the holiday home, I will photograph the first again for Christmas!

Again thank you for this valuable information,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..