Fittings Stamps

Bob M.

Hi All,

Have had this sword for nearly 15 years , so thought it about time to ask some questions , if you would be so kind...

Are these markings commonplace ? Are they just to identify a matching set of fittings ?

This sword has a plain wire 'sarute' - would this be original , were items like 'clasped hands sarute' optional extras ?

I realise that these are probably beginners questions , but any help woiuld be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Bob 

'

post-52-0-54205400-1502398552_thumb.jpeg

The characters represent numbers. the uppermost is shichi or 7 and the bottom one is ku or 9. I understand that they are used to keep track of the fittings as they are fitted specifically to the sword.

I have an early shin gunto with open work tsuba (guard) like yours and it also has a plain wire sarute as well. No idea if it's part of the original fitting set or a later repair/replacement. My gunto has a lot of honest wear, so I suspect it's a war-time repair.

• Like 1

Wire sarute are common, clasped hands etc were options to bling up the sword. You also get  silk cord sarute, which used to be thought to be field modifications but are now known to be yet another standard fitting. You can even find leather thong used as the sarute. Private purchase items can vary a lot depending on the wealth of the officer.

• Like 3

The characters represent numbers. the uppermost is shichi or 7 and the bottom one is ku or 9. I understand that they are used to keep track of the fittings as they are fitted specifically to the sword.

Which gives a handy indication of if the pieces left Japan together. Not the numbers so much, but do the parts fit without rattling.

Thanks to everyone for your replies - very interesting.

I have attached a few more pictures for general info. and wonder if there are any suggestions as to the family represented by the mon ?

Incidentally , the blade has been attributed by the NTHK as den Hosokawa Masachika.

Thanks again.

Bob

post-52-0-01437600-1503002480_thumb.jpeg

post-52-0-14271800-1503002517_thumb.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..