Please Help W Maybe A Gunto W "grass" Script? (Stumped)

MRFORD509

I have a sword that my wife's grandma gave us with little information. Looks like a gunto to me but I'm very new at this. Tried looking up the signatures and date but obviously couldn't figure it out. There is also a note that was folded around the blade in the sheath. Had several Japanese friends try and all said it was to old or hard to read. Nice person I met on a website gave me more info and said it is a nice sword but has "grass" script signature and date and is indeed very hard to read and pointed me to this message board and said that it is full of very intelligent people that can probably figure it out. thank you in advance for any info you can give me very much appreciated. Thanks, Mark

post-4178-0-39352400-1502242683_thumb.jpg

post-4178-0-32457400-1502242740_thumb.jpg

post-4178-0-00345600-1502242786_thumb.jpg

post-4178-0-58961300-1502242822_thumb.jpg

post-4178-0-19635200-1502242882_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your time I very much appreciate you guys looking at it but I am sooo newbie retarted about this stuff its not even funny, We have had it for a couple years but only recently watched a tv show about the signatures under the handle (of all places pawn stars) but dont get me wrong I am not ever selling this sword, be it very valuable or a reproduction. Its going to go down to a nephew in her family as we dont have kids. If anyone can reply in I guess beginners lingo about what ya think it is would be great or when I have time I can do more research of what everyone has helped me out w so far. Regardless im very thankful I have found this page and will continue to keep checking on it. Thank you, Mark

Mark, to sum up what our experts have said (I am not one of them) it is made in August 1944, by a smith called Yoshimori working in Hyūga.
It is a step above the usual arsenal mass produced sword, being likely traditionally made, as the better swords in WW2 were. A few more pics will help. Looks like a nice sword. Value would be (rough guess, and purely my own opinion) about $2K.

Thank you so very much Steve, K Morita, John, Hamfish and Brian specially for dummying it down for me but everyones work and knowledge is very much appreciated and I will definitely take more pics of the blade or any others you want and post them when I get back in town. One last question is since im super new to this is, if it is worth 2k or around maybe. Obviously it will be of greater value in 20,30 or 50 more years but how much do they or will they raise? Or is it something he just passes on again to his future kids just to have and tell stories about ya think? Might be a stupid question and unknown answer to but I'll try lol. Thanks again everyone. Thanks, Mark

If you can get some pictures of the tip (kissaki), closeups of the temper line (hamon) and some overall pictures of the sword in *good* light we can give you a better idea of the quality and value.

I'd definitely hang onto it, it will appreciate in value over the years and if it's come from the family the it's all the more precious to keep.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..