help with mei

Mark

Group,

I have a ko-wakizashi that is signed, the mei is hard for me to make out. Rust and wear may have worn away some of the stokes. I can clearly see Masa as the fist kanji, i at first assumed the second was Hiro, but after trying to remove some of the red rust i am now not sure. Maybe someone more familiar with Japanese can make it out..... any help appreciated. Thanks!

post-102-14196745005534_thumb.jpg

at first and immediate glance the shape of the 2nd kanji screams NAGA to me...

MASA NAGA

正永

...edit....

Mark, I see where you are going with MASASUKE, (with the little box and all) but I don't think it works. If it was SUKE I would want to see the main vertical stroke further over to the left, instead it is central to the kanji.

However I be just a nihovice and am quite likely wrong! Let's wait for Moriyama san or Morita san to give an opinion.....

cheers

I have been watching the mei for a while, but I cannot read it.

If I have to guess, I would like to say Masahiro (正廣) after all.

I cannot be free from the impression of the part (广) of the second kanji. :?

Thanks to everyone who has ventured an opinion !! At least i feel better that this is not something i should have figured out right away. I spent some quality time with chogi oil and a piece of horn, not sure if it made a big improvement but i think it is a bit clearer... the tang does not seem so distressed that a lot of detail should be missing, most of the kanji is cut deep and clear ? Does this picture help any?? I took a shot with both kanji as it gives an idea of the size/layout and then a close up of the second.....

Thanks again

post-102-1419674508841_thumb.jpg

post-102-14196745089517_thumb.jpg

Must say, this is not going to be an easy one to solve. As Moriyama san said, the eyes can play tricks on you, and you can start to see what you want.

I do see a definite stroke where I highlighted in red. But still makes no sense to me :dunno:

Brian

MVC-002S.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..