15 replies to this topic

#1 Vermithrax16

Vermithrax16

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationBoston Metro North

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:52 AM

This is a modern sword (Aoi Art) but an ikubi kissaki will always grab me!

I know why they were phased out and all that, but love them all the same. Like to see examples:

https://www.aoijapan...-length-90-4-cm

Jeremiah L.

"I wonder if we're being drawn into an ambush. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. We have to do this. We've already bought tickets for the last dance. And it's going to be a real gala event."  - Robopocalypse 

#2 Darcy

Darcy

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

IN BEFORE ANYONE SAYS MONGOL INVASIONS!!!

Take your mind. Think in three dimensions. Extend the kissaki tip. Leave the yokote where it is. 

What happens to the ji?

http://www.nihonto.ca (only way to reach me, do not PM me on this board, you will not get a response)

#3 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

There was a great example of a Kanemichi Kai Gunto in the sales section with Ikubi but it must've been lost in the reset or deleted by the seller.
  • Vermithrax16 likes this

John

#4 Hamfish

Hamfish

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:27 PM

i can post some pics, but i will have to ask the permission of the new owner

WILCO

• PNSSHOGUN likes this
Hamfish

#5 Valric

Valric

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

The thickness of the boshi doesn't really fit with the tip being broken and reshaped, unless it's been somewhat masked by clever polish or creative oshigata...

Chris H. 

#6 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 9,973 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:05 AM

https://www.aoijapan...jiwara-tadahiro

Stephen C.

USMC      DEC 63      APR 73

#7 Hamfish

Hamfish

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

this the permission of the new owner,

ikubi on a showato is uncommon.

i dont know any practical reasons why they were slowly phased out for other types of kissaki, as i have never done Iai or anything related.

but i think they look very pleasing to the eye, esp on a tachi

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3430 (800x533).jpg
  • IMG_3502 (800x533).jpg
  • IMG_3503 (800x533).jpg
  • IMG_3533 (800x533).jpg

• PNSSHOGUN and Vermithrax16 like this
Hamfish

#8 Vermithrax16

Vermithrax16

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

I really liked that offering Hamfish, glad it sold!

I was informed a great nihonto scholar thinks ikubi was never really a thing, just repaired tips to that shape. Seems we should be able to know this as fact or fiction by now. Interesting.

Jeremiah L.

"I wonder if we're being drawn into an ambush. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. We have to do this. We've already bought tickets for the last dance. And it's going to be a real gala event."  - Robopocalypse 

#9 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:45 AM

Nice blade and ikubi kissaki. Lucky new owner. Neil.

• PNSSHOGUN likes this
Neil

#10 raymondsinger

raymondsinger

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:44 AM

FWIW, this sword does not have an ikubi-kissaki. This term refers to a sword in which the kissaki is shorter than it is wide. The proportions can be verified in an image editing application such as Photoshop where, in Aoi's image, the width of the sword at the yokoto is approximately 187 pixels, while the length of the kissaki from the yokote forward is approximately 238 pixels.

Attached Thumbnails

• kissaki.jpg

• Guido Schiller, paulb, Jean and 5 others like this

Ray Singer

http://swordsofjapan.com

#11 Bazza

Bazza

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:56 AM

Thanks Ray, I was wondering when someone would address this nomenclature slip!!!  I was waiting to find the right Round Tuit!!   Add fumbari to the misunderstood terms list...

BaZZa.

• raymondsinger and Jim P like this

#12 seanyx11

seanyx11

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

I was also curious about this being a true ikubi kissaki, as opposed to a ko kissaki/chu kissaki (depending on how you want to look at it I guess).  I didn't want to point out a mistake being so new, plus I thought maybe I misunderstood the meaning of ikubi kissaki myself.  Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure that both swords are not true ikubi kissaki and basically just ko kissaki, correct?  I actually really like short ko kissaki, though they seem to be few and far between...ikubi kissaki on the other hand, I haven't seen any other than in books as examples.

Sean P.

I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down

#13 Jean

Jean

Daimyo

• Moderators
  • 7,123 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:51 PM

Real Ko kissaki are encountered on early Kamakura blades where fumbari is very important. I have one on one of my sword which is an utsushi of a beginning of Kamakura Bizen tachi by the great Oei Bizen smith Yasumitsu, from memory, it is about 1,88cm long, yokote is 0,8cm. The blade is 70,7cm long

http://www.militaria...ection-gokaden/
  • eternal_newbie and seanyx11 like this
Jean L.
Soshin Gimei

#14 Vermithrax16

Vermithrax16

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:54 AM

FWIW, this sword does not have an ikubi-kissaki. This term refers to a sword in which the kissaki is shorter than it is wide. The proportions can be verified in an image editing application such as Photoshop where, in Aoi's image, the width of the sword at the yokoto is approximately 187 pixels, while the length of the kissaki from the yokote forward is approximately 238 pixels.

Amazing detective skills as always Raymond!

Well looks like technically I made this post in error, and I actually did know the sizing definitions, but did not apply them. Ikubi-like?

I have seen a few real nihonto ones around and a newly forged sword (Komonjo :) ) trying to copy the style and should have been more specific. Still, great thread and great discussion.

• raymondsinger likes this

Jeremiah L.

#15 Bazza

Bazza

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

Jeremiah Mate,

Dinna worry Laddie, the pitfalls are many.  I have a good friend who once opined about my "more outrageous pronouncements"!!!

BaZZa.

• Vermithrax16 likes this

#16 Vermithrax16

Vermithrax16

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:26 AM

Jeremiah Mate,

Dinna worry Laddie, the pitfalls are many.  I have a good friend who once opined about my "more outrageous pronouncements"!!!

BaZZa.

Haha, thanks BaZZa

Jeremiah L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq