20 replies to this topic

#1 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

Would any one have a type 3 screw any where in their box of spares that I could buy? This sword pictured is OK, but I have another were a peg is inserted in lieu of the screw. Any help would be gratefully received. Neil.  

Attached Thumbnails

• screw.jpg

Neil

#2 Shamsy

Shamsy

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

Hey Neil,

The bad news is that type 0 parts are like NCO parts. Few and far between. In both cases it's the screws that are hardest to get. Even if someone gets a 'parts sword' these are typically missing the screw... and only have one per sword anyway!

I've seen calls for these screws on NMB before and I don't think anyone had them. Good luck, I'll keep an eye out for you but I don't hold much hope. You may want to look at a replica.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with pegs either. They're perfectly okay for the type 0.
  • Dave R likes this
Steve
Collecting Type 95 NCO swords

#3 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Shamsy, took your good advice, and put in a peg. It secures the blade, and works, but would still like a screw. As you can see from photo, the hole is counter sunk requiring a screw to look the part. Until one shows up, the peg will have to suffice. Neil.

Attached Thumbnails

• peg.jpg

Neil

#4 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,717 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

Bunch of us are. There were a few offered a few months back, but never heard any more. :(
Need 3 myself.

Oh..and nice bait title...waiting for the comments about "aren't we all" :laughing:

• Dave R, Shamsy, Bruce Pennington and 2 others like this

- Admin -

#5 Shamsy

Shamsy

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

I remember those Brian... weren't they listed for something like $100 each? It was crazy expensive... but I still considered one, since it's a case of getting hens teeth when you can. But I don't know if anyone actually did get one...
Steve
Collecting Type 95 NCO swords

#6 SwordGuyJoe

SwordGuyJoe

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

Damn US time zones! I wanted to be the first to chime in with "Aren't we all?"
  • Vermithrax16 likes this

#7 Bazza

Bazza

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

Damn US time zones! I wanted to be the first to chime in with "Aren't we all?"

SO WAS I - Brian remembers me well, eh Komrad???  Only mine was going to be a variation - "Who isn't??"

O 'tis a good day for a laff.

Joe, I must tell you about my Kuniie sometime...

#8 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 11,799 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

What is a Screw????  Yes its been that long!

• Bruce Pennington and Vermithrax16 like this

Stephen C.

USMC DEC 63 APR 73

I can see for miles and miles from this vantage point!

GOCnSLT

#9 Peter Bleed

Peter Bleed

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

This is a busy weekend for folks going to San Francisco, but I bet you that Mark Jones has some of these.He is probably traveling right now, but he accumulates such  things and i gave him a couple at the last Chicago show! (In sword collecting as in so many other activities, "timing is everything.").

Peter

Peter Bleed

#10 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Shamsy, took your good advice, and put in a peg. It secures the blade, and works, but would still like a screw. As you can see from photo, the hole is counter sunk requiring a screw to look the part. Until one shows up, the peg will have to suffice. Neil.

Neil,
I just learned something today! I'm new to collecting Rinji model gunto (tip-o-the-hat to Nick Komiya!) and have 3 - all missing the lower "peg" but having the upper mekugi. I just assumed the lowere mekugi was missing. When I switched the mekugi to the lower position, the hole in the same' was ugly, it was so large. Now I know why - it was cut for a larger headed screw!

Would you do me a favor and pull one out and give me a good set of pictures? Also, exactly WHAT are the threads imbedded into - the nakago ana? or the tsuka wood?

#11 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,717 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

Steel nut at the other side of tsuka.

- Admin -

#12 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

Steel nut at the other side of tsuka.

Ok, learned something more! After examining mine, on two of them, while shining a light throught the mekugi ana, I can see a sheet metal on the other side between the tsuka wood and the ito with a hole for the screw! It's very thin. On the other where where I cannot see it, it's possible it has simply slid down out of view.

#13 Dave R

Dave R

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

Neil,
I just learned something today! I'm new to collecting Rinji model gunto (tip-o-the-hat to Nick Komiya!) and have 3 - all missing the lower "peg" but having the upper mekugi. I just assumed the lowere mekugi was missing. When I switched the mekugi to the lower position, the hole in the same' was ugly, it was so large. Now I know why - it was cut for a larger headed screw!

Would you do me a favor and pull one out and give me a good set of pictures? Also, exactly WHAT are the threads imbedded into - the nakago ana? or the tsuka wood?

Best photo I could find on my files. Btw they often have one screw and one peg. Lots of variations, and a good search of this site will turn up better pictures and more information. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 28604.jpg
  • kanehidemounts.jpg

• Bruno and Bruce Pennington like this

Dave

#14 Death-Ace

Death-Ace

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:42 PM

If you really want, apparently there's a bunch of "screws" on BackPage!

Haha, sorry, couldn't resist. Surely there's a few about, if I see any of my guys at the next gun shows or meetings, Ill ask. Usually they have some obscure parts that they just never sell online.
Lev H.

#15 Jean

Jean

Daimyo

• Moderators
  • 7,664 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:33 AM

Someone could duplicate them using 3D printer... :)
  • PNSSHOGUN and Vermithrax16 like this
Jean L.
Soshin Gimei

#16 Vermithrax16

Vermithrax16

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 972 posts
  • LocationBoston Metro North

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:03 AM

Someone could duplicate them using 3D printer... :)

haha was gonna suggest this!

Jeremiah

#17 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

Hi All, I am glad I got your attention! On removing screws from a couple of complete swords, I noticed two different shapes of screws. Although they are both the same length, and thread type. One has a rounded slotted head, the other a flat head. One has a curved taper, the other a straight taper. See photos for a comparison.

I am after the round head, curved taper. Thanks for all your replies, (a few chuckles amongst them), Neil.

Attached Thumbnails

• screw2.jpg
  • screw1.jpg

• Dave R likes this
Neil

#18 Windy

Windy

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, U.K.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

Easy enough to machine if someone has access to a lathe.....and exact dimensions.
Cheers, Matt

#19 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

Yep, as I look at it, wouldn't be too difficult to machine the curved taper as well on the non fitting straight taper. Neil.
Neil

#20 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:42 AM

Here's my fix: a brass 10-24 1" screw. I spray painted it with some Japanese helmet color paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0594.JPG

#21 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

LOOKS PERFECT!!
Neil

0 user(s) are reading this topic