I Am Looking For A Screw

IJASWORDS

Hey Neil,

The bad news is that type 0 parts are like NCO parts. Few and far between. In both cases it's the screws that are hardest to get. Even if someone gets a 'parts sword' these are typically missing the screw... and only have one per sword anyway!

I've seen calls for these screws on NMB before and I don't think anyone had them. Good luck, I'll keep an eye out for you but I don't hold much hope. You may want to look at a replica.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with pegs either. They're perfectly okay for the type 0.

• Like 1

Thanks Shamsy, took your good advice, and put in a peg. It secures the blade, and works, but would still like a screw. As you can see from photo, the hole is counter sunk requiring a screw to look the part. Until one shows up, the peg will have to suffice. Neil.

post-3858-0-18762500-1501663008_thumb.jpg

I remember those Brian... weren't they listed for something like $100 each? It was crazy expensive... but I still considered one, since it's a case of getting hens teeth when you can. But I don't know if anyone actually did get one...

• Like 1

Damn US time zones! I wanted to be the first to chime in with "Aren't we all?"

SO WAS I - Brian remembers me well, eh Komrad???  Only mine was going to be a variation - "Who isn't??"

O 'tis a good day for a laff.

Joe, I must tell you about my Kuniie sometime...

This is a busy weekend for folks going to San Francisco, but I bet you that Mark Jones has some of these.He is probably traveling right now, but he accumulates such  things and i gave him a couple at the last Chicago show! (In sword collecting as in so many other activities, "timing is everything.").

Peter

Thanks Shamsy, took your good advice, and put in a peg. It secures the blade, and works, but would still like a screw. As you can see from photo, the hole is counter sunk requiring a screw to look the part. Until one shows up, the peg will have to suffice. Neil.

Neil,

I just learned something today! I'm new to collecting Rinji model gunto (tip-o-the-hat to Nick Komiya!) and have 3 - all missing the lower "peg" but having the upper mekugi. I just assumed the lowere mekugi was missing. When I switched the mekugi to the lower position, the hole in the same' was ugly, it was so large. Now I know why - it was cut for a larger headed screw!

Would you do me a favor and pull one out and give me a good set of pictures? Also, exactly WHAT are the threads imbedded into - the nakago ana? or the tsuka wood?

Steel nut at the other side of tsuka.

Ok, learned something more! After examining mine, on two of them, while shining a light throught the mekugi ana, I can see a sheet metal on the other side between the tsuka wood and the ito with a hole for the screw! It's very thin. On the other where where I cannot see it, it's possible it has simply slid down out of view.

Neil,

I just learned something today! I'm new to collecting Rinji model gunto (tip-o-the-hat to Nick Komiya!) and have 3 - all missing the lower "peg" but having the upper mekugi. I just assumed the lowere mekugi was missing. When I switched the mekugi to the lower position, the hole in the same' was ugly, it was so large. Now I know why - it was cut for a larger headed screw!

Would you do me a favor and pull one out and give me a good set of pictures? Also, exactly WHAT are the threads imbedded into - the nakago ana? or the tsuka wood?

Best photo I could find on my files. Btw they often have one screw and one peg. Lots of variations, and a good search of this site will turn up better pictures and more information. 

post-2218-0-74089400-1501704472_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-52381900-1501704514_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If you really want, apparently there's a bunch of "screws" on BackPage!

Haha, sorry, couldn't resist. Surely there's a few about, if I see any of my guys at the next gun shows or meetings, Ill ask. Usually they have some obscure parts that they just never sell online.

Hi All, I am glad I got your attention! On removing screws from a couple of complete swords, I noticed two different shapes of screws. Although they are both the same length, and thread type. One has a rounded slotted head, the other a flat head. One has a curved taper, the other a straight taper. See photos for a comparison.

I am after the round head, curved taper. Thanks for all your replies, (a few chuckles amongst them), Neil.

post-3858-0-18707000-1501743510_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-91787100-1501743520_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Here's my fix: a brass 10-24 1" screw. I spray painted it with some Japanese helmet color paint.

I need one also. The one that remains in my sword measures at about metric 0.062, or close a TPI measurement of 28.

The tapered neck would be a problem as would finding a metric die the correct size, but beyond that making my own seems like the only solution at this point in time. I'll probably try brass for construction, would be easiest to work with.

george

I bought some Japanese parades swords recently from a collectors widow

I had never saw so may fitting before

All saya attachments

A few hundred screws

And loads more

After my second visit I said I could sell a few of these on the NMB but another collector offered to help had taken them all as he had a website

I would suggest anyone needing any parts from WW1 / WW2 swords contacts

Mark Davies

japanesewarriors@oulook.com - www.japanesewarriors.co.uk

He will need a photo and sizes

If anyone buys from Mark please add the details to the NMB as it will help the widow

Grev

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..