4 replies to this topic

#1 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

Probably trivial to most, but I have noticed slight differences in the boars eye (heart shape) on some KAI GUNTO Koshirae. Some are solid (filled in), some are open. Examples are in the attached photos.

Can any one help with information on the differences. OK, I may be just chasing butterflies, but often small differences make the study more interesting. Neil.  

Attached Thumbnails

• boar2.jpg
  • boar1.jpg
  • boar3.jpg

• Dave R likes this
Neil

#2 obiwanknabbe

obiwanknabbe

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

My guess would be that its an example of upgraded features.. As we know, officers had sword purchase budgets and this is likely an example of the next level up for those with a few extra yen, with bucket seats, AM/Fm/Cd radio, and chrome rims optional.

Kurt K

#3 EdWolf

EdWolf

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

Maybe just another manufacturer or just a simplification to speed up the production.

Regards,

Ed

Ed

#4 Erwin

Erwin

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Interesting, the closed heart surface has indeed a structure so it is intended as such and not a casting mistake. In order to form the opening a corepin on the outside slides of the tool need to fit into slots in the core of the tool. After release from the tool it needs polishing work to remove flesh and clear up split line edges. Indeed, most likely a design alternative, faster to make, less fragile in toolimg and maintenance.......sort of makes sence. Like the open heart better though.
Thanks for sharing, I had not seen it before but relative new to the matter so no surprise there.

Best regards
Erwin
  • Dave R likes this
Erwin

#5 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:35 AM

Neil,

You always amaze with the unusual, and beautiful, things you find! The only reference I've ever found that discussed cost/style variations is the Ohmura site. He shows one, which I've never seen except for his site, that he calls an expensive upgrade. So cost clearly may have been a reason for some variants.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1501626752094.jpg

• EdWolf likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq