Tsuba. The Mark Of The Knights Of Japan

EdWolf

Rather amusingly the author seems confused as to the reading of the mei on the tsuba on page 43.

I can't properly see the first kanji but the second is unmistakable as it that very distinctive Kao. As many will recognise this is the mei of Kano Natsuo, only one of the the most famous of Kinko artists :-)

It's hard to properly asses the work but the actual monkey is a very close match to one Natsuo did on a well published iron version. 

• Like 3

There are some errors scattered in the text (at least I think so):

p. 14 - tsuba Shingen, but nothing to do with the design known as the “centipede”;

p. 20 - the image is mirrored left-right (difficult to read properly the signature);

p. 21 - worth to say the complete mei should be Shōami Shigenobu;

p. 25 - the complete mei should be Joi Nagaharu (with Nagaharu - 永春 in form of seal);

p. 29 - 柳川直春 reads Yanagawa Naoharu, not Naohara;

p. 41 - the maker is Kaji´emon, not Kakiemon;

p. 42 - the mei in omote should be 干英子野村包教 - Kan'eishi Nomura Kanenori, not Kan-ishi Nomura Kanemobu;

p. 43 - Natsuo, as pointed out by Ford;

p. 45 - the mei should be Masachika (正親), not Malachi.

It would be fine if some advanced fellows here in the forum could confirm and send a note to the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.

Mauro

• Like 3

Mauro,

I am not one of the experts, but I also found these mistakes, which led me to make a critical comment about the book. For my education, I need good pictures of high-quality items and a reliable text. This is the reason why I was not enthousiastic.

For an amateur author, it is just pointless to write a book about a very specialized subject like TOSOGU without the help of real experts, be that in the subject or in language/translation. 

• Like 4

I actually saw some of these pieces in person in Málaga. They were donated by a French collector, who mainly collected prints , to the museum in the past century.

It's sad because this pieces are now degrading in a humid warehouse, as they are rarely being exhibited. Not many Japanese art lovers here i guess.

Please, don't donate your pieces to museums, private collections will preserve them longer.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..