Tameshi Mei Or Just Kin Mei?

Aldwin

Hello everyone!

I need some assistance with these signatures.

On the omote side reads 自_守藤原汎隆? Ura side I have no idea. Could this be a tameshi mei or just kin mei?

post-99-0-62803100-1501003137_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have better photos. It has gunto mounts.

post-99-0-71766400-1501003302_thumb.jpg post-99-0-78120300-1501003243_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-59148300-1501003345_thumb.jpg post-99-0-82602900-1501003361_thumb.jpg post-99-0-67389200-1501003373_thumb.jpg

Thank you.

Aldwin

Hello Aldwin,

The mei is 伯耆守藤原汎隆 Hōki-no-kami Fujiwara Hirotaka. You came very close. In fact, you could have plugged what you had written into a search engine, and one of the first hits would have lead you to the swordsmith you are looking for 

The other side is a tameshi mei (saidan mei), by Matsunami Tokiemon (松波時右衛門 - which you can see bits of on the bottom). It is a known name, and the first 4 characters of the name are distinct. I cannot figure out the above part due to wear and rust. It will be a description of which kind of test cut was made. It could be

雁金?落ち切り?

• Like 1

Hello Steve, thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it.

I tried translating it but got Mamoru Fujiwara Masataka. :laughing:

When I get to personally see this sword, I'll take more better photos. I'm actually interested in buying this one, if the price is right. It has several chips on the edge, can't see if it's below the hamon or goes beyond it. If it's below the hamon, a good polisher would be able to restore it.

I'll be researching more based on the information you provided. Thanks again!

I did a bit of research about the mei.

伯耆守藤原汎隆 Hōki-no-kami Fujiwara Hirotaka was a swordsmith from the mid 1600s. Matsunami Tokiemon 松波時右衛門 was from the Empo era.

I hope I got that right?

If ever I buy this sword, what should I do about the active rust on the nakago? Would piano keys work or that's only for the blade and tsuba?

If the rust is flakey a light tapping with wood spoon or something like.

you can bone if you like, a slightly oiled towel with repeated wiping until no more rust shows will be fine ....remember lightly oiled no need to saturate it.  

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..