17 replies to this topic

#1 Aloof Pegasus

Aloof Pegasus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSengakuji

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:05 AM

As many of you will know Kawakita Handeishi is associated with Momoyama revival chawan which he was famous for giving intriguing names to. Those kind of pieces are well out of my reach but the nice thing about collecting Yakimono is the way that a good yunomi from such an artist is still affordable.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP4625-1__50983.1500646785.380.380-1.jpg
  • IMGP4621-1__28366.1500646785.380.380.jpg
  • IMGP4629-1__90193.1500646786.380.380.jpg
  • IMGP4611-1__80775.1500646786.380.380.jpg
  • IMGP4603-1__52751.1500646785.380.380.jpg

• sabi likes this
Philip L.

"Each day is a journey and the journey itself is my home." Basho

#2 Aloof Pegasus

Aloof Pegasus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSengakuji

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

http://e-yakimono.bl...chajin.html?m=1
  • sabi likes this
Philip L.

#3 sabi

sabi

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationDover, NH USA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

Wonderful piece my friend! Do let me know if that one ever needs a new home!

I have a new Yunomi as well... Made by an Iga-based artist, Atarashi Manabu, however it's a bit of a departure for him and done in the ki-seto style. I particularly enjoy how the scorch marks look like dragonflies.

IMG_20170731_124953741_zpsqg3cybwy.jpg

IMG_20170731_125134745_zps9hbuvo8v.jpg

IMG_20170731_125050262_zpswir6jvqe.jpg

Evan Worley

"Both the victor and the vanquished are but drops of dew, but bolts of lightning - thus should we view the world."

#4 Aloof Pegasus

Aloof Pegasus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSengakuji

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

This ridge reminds me of the one you find on a kukri handle. I imagine it is comforting to hold and gives tactile interest. I like ki-seto too.

How's the koudei?
Philip L.

#5 John A Stuart

John A Stuart

Daimyo

• Moderators
  • 6,828 posts
  • LocationArctic Coast, Canada

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:03 PM

I find this winter style difficult to whisk and use a summer style for matcha. They are fine for sencha however. John

#6 sabi

sabi

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationDover, NH USA

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

Yes, it's very nice in hand and does provide a tactile quality. Here's a pic of the foot, boldly formed with no wobble.

IMG_20170803_1717021552_zps3sqylan6.jpg

Yes John I completely agree...while it's doable, whisking in a tall yunomi isn't much fun. I use this piece at the office for my every day bagged tea and coffee, which perfectly suits it!

Evan Worley

"Both the victor and the vanquished are but drops of dew, but bolts of lightning - thus should we view the world."

#7 Aloof Pegasus

Aloof Pegasus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSengakuji

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:46 PM

The bad news is that the clay will absorb the coffee and may impact the flavour of the sencha. The good news is that you need a second cup for coffee.
It is a nice foot you are right. Nice cup!
Philip L.

#8 Aloof Pegasus

Aloof Pegasus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSengakuji

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

Could be for coffee, it's big enough.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170804_065102.jpg
  • 20170804_065055.jpg
  • 20170804_065045.jpg
  • 20170804_065041.jpg

Philip L.

#9 Henry Wilson

Henry Wilson

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:05 AM

I picked up a nice set of 5 matching Oribe plates recently. They apparently could date to the Meiji period but the cynic in me is doubtful. The green glaze ranges from vibrate colour to a flatter blue hue across the set of 5. I love the lines across the edges that are straight but takes on a Fuji shape because of the angle. One of the motifs seems to be a gourd, the other a flower or kanj. Anyone any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3441.JPG
  • IMG_3439.JPG
  • IMG_3438.JPG

Henry Wilson

幸福は満足にあり。

#10 Aloof Pegasus

Aloof Pegasus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSengakuji

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

Lovely! Congratulations Henry. Great buy. I'm no expert on antique pieces either but see nothing to contradict Meiji. Wonderful colour.
  • Henry Wilson likes this
Philip L.

#11 Aloof Pegasus

Aloof Pegasus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSengakuji

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

BTW Henry are you ever out Takeshita street way? Coming from the Harajuku Station end turn at the pancake shop and next left. Do you know that bloke? He sometimes has great to semi great antique pieces at knockdown prices.
Shop is just a couple of window displays and a small room full of glitzy crap.
Philip L.

#12 Henry Wilson

Henry Wilson

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:09 AM

Hi Philip

Thanks for the kind words. I think I know the shop. It is a window of stuff that you have to ask about. If so I got two of these there just off Takeshita Dori.

IMG_3442.JPG

Further down Omotesando in the area of the Nezu museum is this place where I got the Oribe plates. He might have a few more left
https://m.facebook.c...shiiCollection/
Henry Wilson

幸福は満足にあり。

#13 sabi

sabi

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationDover, NH USA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:19 AM

The bad news is that the clay will absorb the coffee and may impact the flavour of the sencha. The good news is that you need a second cup for coffee.
It is a nice foot you are right. Nice cup!

I'll take any excuse to buy another, so consider it done!

And thanks! I quite enjoy it and it's good size for my preference. I thought it was interesting to see such a nice kiseto piece from an artist known pretty much entirely for Iga work.

Henry,

Very nice plates, I'm a big fan of bold and colorful Oribe serving dishes and plates. They provide the perfect canvas for Oribe work IMO, wide open spaces and plenty of angles to bounce patterns off.

I'm basically clueless when it comes to dating late Edo and Meiji. It does look like they could have a bit of age though. I really like the feet and the colors/motifs are classic.

Evan Worley

#14 Aloof Pegasus

Aloof Pegasus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSengakuji

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:33 AM

Thanks for the link, Henry. Yes that's the place. Found some nice oribe tea cups there. And these plates around the turn of the 20th c. Makes me think if these are 1915 or so the Kawakita Hadeishi piece should be earlier- not that it matters.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170804_092749-1.jpg

• Henry Wilson likes this
Philip L.

#15 ROKUJURO

ROKUJURO

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationIn a deep valley

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

I find this winter style difficult to whisk and use a summer style for matcha......

John,

are YUNOMI meant for MATCHA at all? I always used a HAN-TSUTSU GATA CHAWAN fot that purpose.

ARAKAWA-Schüler 4883.jpg

Regards,

Jean C.

#16 John A Stuart

John A Stuart

Daimyo

• Moderators
  • 6,828 posts
  • LocationArctic Coast, Canada

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

Well, according to what I was told. In winter Yunomi were used for macha as well as sencha as they retain the heat better. Of course, that was more relevant in the days when houses were cold and charcoal braziers barely kept you from freezing, something I experienced in the mountains of Quangxi. No central heat there. Hot tea was a life saver. John

#17 Mark S.

Mark S.

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

More specifically the taller bowls (also known as tsutsu chawan) were better suited for making koicha (thick or heavy tea) where the tea isn't as much 'whisked' as it is 'kneaded'. The water needs to remain very hot (especially in cold weather) due to the increased time necessary for the kneading process. Tea whisks came in different shapes to assist with the kneading and the bowl was tilted slightly during the kneading process (or whisking if making usucha - light tea). You can make usucha in the taller bowls, but it can be difficult.

#18 Curran

Curran

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,279 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

Is there any recommended board or forum for learning about Japanese pottery?

I come at this from knowing a good bit about korean, but very little about Japanese regions and styles.

My tastes seem to be limited to certain historical and modern schools. I can photograph an example given to me in Japan in 1989. It might take a few days.

A few years ago I was very much struck by a modern potter's work and tracked down some pages with notes on his work. He seems to have shifted styles to a bit more experimental-playful, and I don't like his more recent work. To this day I regret not buying one of his earlier bowls, having been outbid. Thinking again on that bowl, I decided that I should learn a bit more in this area. I would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction to self educate.

Michin nom Curran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq