Silver Fittings - Show Them Off!

Vermithrax16

Dear Curran and Steven,

Thank you for your interest in my kozuka.

@Curran: It is a mumei kozuka (please see my other pictures) and I have no idea at all about a school

@Steven: Another proof that this board is really fantastic. Thank you for bringing history to this kozuka as I didn't know its back-round. By anat chance would you have te possibility to scan the page of the catalogue where this kozuka is listed?

Thank you again

Bruno

post-2467-0-65841100-1519715802_thumb.jpeg

post-2467-0-67796100-1519715803_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

post-52-0-68694800-1546814529_thumb.jpeg

Quick scan of picture of carp f/k .

Descrlbed as pair of silver fuchi-kashira with carp swimming among waterweeds in takabori and gold takazogan , the eyes in gold and shakudo against a nanako ground.

Hope this is of interest.

Please have a go and guess the school  - will reply in 48 hrs , hopefully with better pics.

Regards

• Like 3

Dwain,

If you'll look closely at the "silver" tanto you posted..... you'll discover that it is actually 'silvered'. It is not made of a solid silver alloy.

Cheers,

-S-

p.s.-lovely kozuka Bruno, always had a soft spot for snowflakes.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up????

• Like 1

Scan 102.jpeg Scan 101.jpeg

Quick scan of picture of carp f/k .

Descrlbed as pair of silver fuchi-kashira with carp swimming among waterweeds in takabori and gold takazogan , the eyes in gold and shakudo against a nanako ground.

Hope this is of interest.

Please have a go and guess the school - will reply in 48 hrs , hopefully with better pics.

Regards

Wow! From a glance they look like the average koi but when enlarged (after clicking pic), they look super detailed! Very nice work!

Im going to go with the "go to" school Go-to but maybe something rare like ichijo or utsuki?

Let's revive this thread.

Some cool stuff coming.

Self quoting....... I know....

But some cool stuff arriving next few days so wanted to revive the thread.

I was going to a singular post on this tsuba, I bought it last January, and it's been a long interesting trip. But too many details and too much typing. Era is late. 1920's.

Glad it's here finally. 

Mitsuharu silver tsuba. See Haynes H 05156.0. Pen name Seiunsai which is on the right side of seppa dai. 

post-4009-0-25318100-1547172983_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-88154300-1547173024_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-30881000-1547173041_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Dear Jeremiah,

I see several signs of modern vulcanized molding and investment casting in your silver wave tsuba, suggesting that it is a copy made in the last few decades.  Specifically I believe I see tiny casting bubbles (not referring to the sea spray), mold defects, porosity and residual cleanup signs (and the front and back of the tsuba are identical copies - including the defects...).  Perhaps Ford can confirm this (I hope that I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that it's a recent cast copy, but in any event, it is cast). 

• Like 1

I'm afraid I must agree with George (Tanto54) in that I too suspect that wave tsuba as being a cast copy.

I mentioned similar concerns on Facebook and here I can see the edge is rather suspiciously smooth (to hide the evidence of a moulded wax copy, the inevitable seam from the rubber mould) but also at 10 O Clock on the front edge I can clearly see traces of that seam that still remain. There's a fair bit of deatil loos on the carved surface too, as well as a few tiny knobs and bubbles. All of which shout 'casting' to me. Sorry.

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..