34 replies to this topic

#31 parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Locationfrance

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

I have question regarding silver monts, is the tsuba always same material and design as the ferrules?
Il seems most of times, it's more a tachi style mounting, not a fuchi and hashira and at least with koi guchi and kojiri and a third silver piece on saya, and on both pictures on linked examples, looks like the tsuba is also made from silver with same design, Tosogucz work tends to confirm a same line design along all parts.
I am planning to purchase a sword with silver mountings, all is in original condition, only one hole on tsuka, no modified, but there is extra copper seppa, and the tsuba is not silver, so I was thinking there may have been original silver tsuba, but it has been replaced for the actual one.
Other way is there is some gap with time, and silver may be softer than bronze, so the gap came sooner and they added a seppa to fill it, but it's only it tsuba can be different with silver mount.

Patrice L

#32 Geraint

Geraint

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationCornwall UK

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

Dear Patrice,

Please forgive me if I misunderstand you but it does sound as though your suggestion is the case, a silver tsuba swapped for another.  Any rule in regard to koshirae is open to examples that prove otherwise but three seppa are really unusual unless something has been done to the sword.  (I have one sword with a late koshirae where a single shakudo o seppa has been fitted on one side with the normal sized pair but it's the only one I have seen where it was original to the sword.)  Rarely the mekugi ana in the tsuka itself can be damaged or worn and an extra seppa added by someone to "tighten the sword up".  If you cannot see any such wear then your first idea sounds the best.

Silver fittings do not always have silver seppa from what I have seen.  Have a look at the one Barry posted.

All the best.

Geraint

#33 Geraint

Geraint

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationCornwall UK

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

Barry.

Thank you for posting that koshirae, it's a stunner :Drool: !  

All the best.

Geraint

#34 Vermithrax16

Vermithrax16

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBoston Metro North

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Darcy and Barry, amazing!!!

Jeremiah L.

"I wonder if we're being drawn into an ambush. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. We have to do this. We've already bought tickets for the last dance. And it's going to be a real gala event."  - Robopocalypse 

#35 alansue

alansue

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

Hi there John (Coffey)
Better pictures of your outstanding Munetsugu would do it more justice
It is an all round fabulous piece
Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic