Copper Handle Nco

Hi Gents ,

Ive put this in Auctions but thought id also post this under military incase any experts in ww2 ncos missed it , Wallis and Wallis auction in UK of what looks like a double fullered copper handle nco , ive flicked them a query in regards to fullers/numbers and possible extra photos to website of any stamps , opinions , link below photo

H2717-L123332748.jpg

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-good-wwii-Japanese-nco-s-sword-regulation-moun-733-c-25040e490f

regards

Phil

• Like 1

Thank you Phil. It's interesting for sure. The fullers look very awkward, but there's nothing screaming fake to me from the picture. Not sure what to make of it, but at 30% buyers premium with a no refunds policy, I wish best of luck to the buyer.

If you get additional information and photographs, I'd love to see them.

Cheers

As I put on the other thread, think it's a trick of the light re the extra fuller?

I watched a similar decent copper NCO go for over a thousand pounds a few weeks back. Expect this to be no different.

Look forward to seeing some better photos.

As I put on the other thread, think it's a trick of the light re the extra fuller?

I see what you mean. When you look at the kissaki end, the "fuller" seems to meld into just reflections, maybe from the lighting or ceiling.

Looking at the tsuka, though, there appears to be a filled mekugi-ana at the fuchi end. Plus, and Shamsy, you can correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those stamps looks like the Kokura stacked cannonballs. Didn't ALL the copper-handled gunto have the Kokura stamp?

But, again, poor pics. ............. {growing old waiting for more word from seller!}

Other thread? Found it, had totally passed me by. Reflection is certainly possible. The blade looks too thick. The extra hole you're seeing Bruce... Think that's a trick of the picture. In all cases the screw passes through the second complete diamond of same on that side.

I'd say it's authentic from what I can see (not much) but need better photos to be certain. The patina of the saya is spot on, and there are no repro made yet, so that at least is a good sign.

That's right Bruce. The coppers are all Suya harp and Kokura ‘cannon balls’. Not necessarily in the right order mind! I've seen blank fuchi on them too, in fact one was listed here a time back. Not sure if that's a replacement but likely. I've also seen a copper handle without any serial numbers. But that was a picture (and not a great one), so I cannot comment on authenticity.

Morning Gentlemen ,

Still waiting on Wallis and Wallis response , there notoriously slow in answering ( if at all ) even though their part of the sothersby Auction group think there still to realise the power of the internet and the buyers they miss out on by not loading comprehensive photos . Possibliy if others contact them theyll get a wriggle on and load better photos !!

The blade does look too wide but im trying to fine a photo of a early Japanese parade blade i sold that had a double fullered blade like this one appears to carry .

Im waiting with baited breath for Auctions response and hopefully better photos and will upload as soon as I receive but please feel free to bombard them with your own requests and put the pressure on !

Other thread? Found it, had totally passed me by. Reflection is certainly possible. The blade looks too thick. The extra hole you're seeing Bruce... Think that's a trick of the picture. In all cases the screw passes through the second complete diamond of same on that side.

I'd say it's authentic from what I can see (not much) but need better photos to be certain. The patina of the saya is spot on, and there are no repro made yet, so that at least is a good sign.

Steve, just killing time while we wait - I agree the saya is good. Also the "plugged" mekugi-ana may be a trick of lighting. But on the issue of copper-handled tsukas - mine only has one, at the top, and I thought that was true of most, if not all, copper tsukas.

post-3487-0-83362900-1500860508_thumb.png

You're right Bruce. Coppers have a single screw. Trying not to confuse things, I'm referring to all other NCO with cast handles. I was trying to say that if that was a second screw hole, It’s not in the right place for a genuine 95.

Having said all that, there are examples of copper handles (one genuine, one maybe) with two screws. Probably arsenal refittings. Always an exception with 95s! I don't have a pictures on me (and may not have them saved at all), but I'll post if I can find.

Here it is!

post-3293-0-66726700-1500879631_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..