Wanted: Strange Kanji

Guido

I’m searching for one of the kanji on a wood carving; the first 小 is as easy as it gets, and the third 製 usually means “made by” in this context. However, the middle one has me stumped. I *assume* it’s (which is already an abbreviation of ), but I can’t find a single example.

Any suggestions/confirmation? What's the name of the artist/craftsman?

post-12-0-37474600-1500622650_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-38134800-1500622658_thumb.gif

Apart from far-fetched imagination, nothing to offer here. What kind of carving?

(The imagination, for what it is worth is 小 being a humble reference to oneself, perhaps after retiring from great office and starting anew as 隠居, and novice carver.)

Matt, yes, I agree that Sho-in reading is one possibility, but there are others, such as Sho-on, Ko-in, Ko-on, and so on.

I am interested in how Tom comes to that single reading conclusion, to the exclusion of any others. It's a little take-it-or-leave-it, point-blank, do you not think? If he knew of or found another example of the artist's work, then I would be happy enough to accept it.

I *assume* it’s (which is already an abbreviation of ), but I can’t find a single example.

You are right Guido. It is indeed a variant of the 隠 character and can be found in this database:

http://jigen.net/kanji/167686

Doing a quick check on Japanese pages for a reading of 小隠 , most seem to quote the name "Shô'in".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..