Help Identifying Theme Please

johnnyi

"sea cucumber" has been suggested, but I think that is a stretch. The silver inlay resembles caning that you might find on a chair seat (woven overlap) and this design element repeats on the verso. To me the design seems to hint at life springing forth (from the sea?) or something along those lines, but I don't know. Any help or even guesses would be much appreciated. Thanks

johnnyipost-3005-0-23625500-1499444904_thumb.jpg

Ahead scratcher indeed. :)  The upper element is only produced once on the front as you see. The lower element is reproduced again on the verso, with the same little doohickey that crosses over, the same silver inlay, same four fronds (for want of better word), and the waves.

John

so "here" we are now?

how about mine call to putt this Tsuba) to the Hikone school and tradition ...?

( this is a somehow,to ben tittulatet "small" - but still very respectet "derivate" school  with a lot of influence done for...( others).... - not a main or "standard" school per see!...

a small tipp and just a research worthwile,- ...LOL!

well done John :) ! - again!...

( nice Tsuba!) ( love it!) ( no joke!)

• Like 1

I believe that Thomas is correct.  The Japanese name for the basket shaped erosion control is take-jakago.  The tsuba pictured below has the exact same shapes and is described as a Jakago and is illustrated on page 91 of the book "Japanese Sword Guards - Art of War" by Gary Murtha.

post-852-0-88205900-1499475489_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-22758500-1499475818_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

George, thanks. I thought it might be wishful thinking trying to get it identified, let alone be able see the same design on another tsuba. Thank you, all of you; the depth of your knowledge is amazing.

Kind regards,  John               p.s. Might I conclude from the write-up that due to the thick inlay, this tsuba would fall into the class of Onin influence-Momoyama period?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..