Ask For Guidance

Erwin

Dear All,

My first post on this forum and hugely impressed with all the knowledge and insights reading through the posts. I am a proud owner of several katana's mainly from the WO2 time area. I have now come across a katana which I find difficult to place. Unfortunately the tang has most likely been modifieid to fit a Tsuba, Fuchi en Kashira from another area but not sure on this nor from which time these come. The mei in the tang is hard to identify, I believe it states "1911" but am really not sure. I do not have more pictures at this stage but the katana is up for sale and keeps fascinating me. Is there anybody out there who can say somthing meaningful on this? your help is much appreciated.

EBpost-4144-0-02403200-1499238072.jpgpost-4144-0-93508200-1499238102_thumb.jpg

Dear Geraint,

Sorry for not putting my first name in, I am new to this forum but no excuse.

Indeed, the second picture is from the nakago and unfortunately I do not have better images at this stage. 

It seems that will be the first priority to arrange.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

Best regards

Erwin

Erwin, welcome to the forum. What is being said, based on just two photos, is that the nakago is definitely not typically Japanese. The yasurime are very odd, the shape is irregular, & there is strong evidence that the forging was done incorrectly. Nakago are NEVER modified to fit a tsuba! The first estimation is that the blade is a Chinese "knock-off" of a Japanese blade; i.e., a forgery.

If you're thinking of buying this, please don't.

Ken

Dear All,

I truly appreciate all your insights and sharing of valuable expertise. I understand it is up to me to gather mor, read better pictures for a further review. This might take a bit because the person who owns this is hard to reach. a month back I bought a  Navy Kai Gunto made by a Japanese gendai smith Nagata Sukenori in the Showa era. A beautiful version and was (and stil am)  fascinated by the details in the Tsuba. This guy had also the "doubtful though interesting" Katana on sale. As he had a buyer for it I did not bother taking pictures but the sale did not go through, hence the option to review it again. 

Thank you again for your thoughts and advises, hopefully more info will follow later.

Best regards

Erwin

He is doing you no favors by offering the blade again. Please take a look at the For Sale section of this forum, Erwin. The blades offered here are going to be much-better quality than what you will find on eBay or elsewhere, & they are sold by people you can trust not to sell you junk.

There are many quality tsuba for sale here, too, since you seem to be more interested in that than the blade.

Ken

• Like 1

Erwin I suggest you spend some more time on the forums just reading threads and looking at what makes a real Japanese sword so unique and immediately identifiable.

The two main things that will give away a chinese made sword are the kissaki and nakago.

You will very rarely find "authentic nihonto" for pennies on the dollar today, buy through trusted dealers or do more research so you know exactly what to look for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..