Kanabo Sakon Shōgen Masashige Wakizashi

EdWolf

Hi to all,

Last weekend I found this Wakizashi at a local militaria show. Thanks to this forum I now know that the mei is signed ‘Kanabo Sakon Shōgen Masashige’. The habaki is still stuck but with all the thoughts about how to remove the habaki it will come off. Tonight, a new attempt.

The hamon is visible but unfortunately my photographic skill are not great. The tsuba is nice and heavy build. (I think it's nice). 

The saya is in a good condition and the kozuka and the kogatana gives it a nice touch.

Hope you all like the photos and of course the sword ;-). Feel free to command.

Regards,

Ed

post-3919-0-49268100-1499165071_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-43470500-1499165073_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-75759200-1499165074_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-73863700-1499165078_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-39564700-1499165080_thumb.jpg

Nice find Ed, all the best with the habaki.  Regarding the tsuba, are the sekigane copper?  If not then they may well be an indicator that this is a cast tsuba.  Doesn't make the sword any less of a find, and I hope I'm wrong.

All the best.

Maybe a stupid question but is it a good idea to replace the Tsuba? From what I can found about cast iron Tsuba is that they appear somewhere around the mid-19th century. I think the Koshirae is from the same time period. Do you think the the Tsuba is replaced recently or belongs to the Koshirae? The blade is obvious much older.

Hi Ed,

How does the tsuba fit? There's always a chance that some enterprising person swapped out the tsuba if the original was a good piece that would turn a profit.

Any luck with the habaki? I'd use some kind of penetrating oil - do you get WD40 in the Netherlands? Give the area a good soak and try to work the oil in under the habaki, wrap it in kitchen towel and find something to do for a couple of days. Hopefully that will sort it out, but it might come to attacking it with tin snips or the like and replacing the habaki.

Best,

John

Hi John,

The Tsuba fits well. It’s just a thought but when the wearing of a sword was no longer aloud there is no need for a good quality Tsuba. When a new Koshirae is made you can reduce the cost by using a cast iron Tsuba instead of a forged iron Tsuba. So, could this be an old, say 100 to 150 years old Tsuba?

I haven’t tried to remove the habaki. It was scheduled for yesterday evening but like most scheduled things it needs to be rescheduled :-) In the Netherlands WD40 is a well-known product. Replacing the habaki is not the way I want to go. If it doesn’t come off with help of some oil so be it.

Regards,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Ed,

Any success with the habaki?  If not then I am sure there was a recent thread about pouring very hot water over the habaki, several times if necessary.  the principle being the expansion of the copper.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the tsuba, it looks good when mounted.  Have someone check it to confirm if it is cast and then let it rest, one day you might come across an ideal replacement but all to often you are going to end up having to adjust a poor fit and that's not going to look good.

Look forward to hearing how this one goes.

All the best.

Ed, my experience with a tightly fitting habaki is that it may be rusted in. The penetrating oil (WD40 or equivalent) for a few days with a gentle tapping with wood block and mallet (brass mekugi hammer is a good weight), then oil again, and repeat the process in a few days.

The light tapping can "lift" the rust and allow for improved penetration on the second application. That is my experience, and good luck. Congratulations, BTW, on a good find.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply! I give it a try as soon as I'm back from vacation.

I also think it's a nice catch. It's still possible to find nice things for relatively small amount of money.

Best regards, Ed

Hi Ed,

Living in the Netherlands as well and was wondering which local Militaria show you are refering too. Try to follow this as much as possible as well.

Great find by the way.

Best regards

Erwin 

• 1 month later...

Hi Robert,

Thanks. Yes, the Kodzuka is sweet. I think the overall look of this sword is very nice. Maybe not for the experienced collectors but I like it a lot. And that’s what counts ;-)

Go koto? I don’t know. Maybe one of the other members can tell. As a novice collector I’m still confused even after reading several books and a daily visit to this forum.

Regards,

Ed

Hi Gordon,

I have managed to take a better picture of the nakago. Hope the quality is good enough. Is it possible to post pictures of the tanto and the katana? I’m trying to find more information about Masashige and I am interested in seeing other work by him. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Ed

post-3919-0-65356400-1506426798_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..