Wwii Japanese Type 95 Nco Sword, $600 Obo

emilyhsaylor

Japanese Type 95 NCO sword owned by my grandfather who served in WW2. Granddaddy never spoke about how he obtained the sword as he was relatively quiet regarding his service. The sword passed to my father in 1988 and we've decided to pare down some items and to pass it on to someone who will care for it as it deserves & preserve its historical integrity.

Numbers on the scabbard and blade match (132190). The serial number is stamped to be read with the blade up, which hopefully will help any interested to know which arsenal produced it. The guard appears to be brass while the grip is aluminum. The sword has some nicks and corrosion on the blade, but is very sound and solid overall.

Located in London, KY. I'm willing to deliver to the Knoxville, TN or Lexington, KY areas. Shipping available at cost, courier to be determined.

side latch is a plus but condition is rough. someone has painted the handle and scabbard,not sure if thet can be removed, the blade is badly pitted. It is real so someone will buy it but your price is more than i would ask for it in that condition

• Like 1

Loyer, we believe this to be a Type 95, Nagoya Arsenal blade because the serial number is read with the cutting edge upward.

I'm not an expert. I inherited this Sword from my father who inherited it from his father when he died in 88. Grandaddy was a Carpenter in the Army, stationed in Japan during WWII. He never spoke much of his service, but we know from his military service records that he never engaged in combat. It is likely that Grandaddy got it from a shop. He shipped this Sword, along with some robes for my Grandmother & other items home in a wooden crate prior to his return.

Some may think I'm callous to sell such a unique piece, but I simply can't keep everything & I have many other mementos from his life & his service (of which I am very proud). This Sword has historical value, I'd love to see it wind up with someone who appreciates it & can care for it.

Some may think I'm callous to sell such a unique piece, but I simply can't keep everything & I have many other mementos from his life & his service (of which I am very proud). This Sword has historical value, I'd love to see it wind up with someone who appreciates it & can care for it.

I think this is a very admirable sentiment. We are only temporary caretakers of these things. Best to pass them along to those who have an interest in them and can care for them. 

Wasn't questioning the reasons, just wasn't sure of the blade.  I think I see laminations in the steel which I didn't think occurred in machine made blade.

Forgive me if I offended the OP, I still have a lot to learn about Japanes swords.

• Like 1

Hi There, no offense taken. I'm new here too. I asked why you had that impression in case there was something I was missing. My family & I pride ourselves on honesty, and I wanted to be certain that I hadn't been misleading or that I hadn't been misled. I know the origin of this Sword because I remember fidning it on the shelf in the closet st my Grandparents home after Grandaddy passed away. I thought it was cool, but I was (rightfully) intimidated by it.

My Grandmother said at the time "Oh, that's that Sword Garnett sent home from Japan..." & went on to talk about it and a few other trinkets he sent back. After that, it was stored under my parents bed for nearly 30 years. Occasionally Dad took it out to show a buddy or look at it but it's not an item I'm sentimentally attached to.

Anyway, Sword is sold pending pick up on Sunday. Thank you all for your input & interest. When the Sword is gone, I will update & delete the post. I have enjoyed this knowledge sharing immensely!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..