Kelly And The Hawk

BenVK

I recently subscribed to Kelly Schmidt's email list regarding auction items in Japan and have been drooling over some of the swords, koshirae and armour being offered.

What I didn't expect was to see was something quite different to anything I've ever bought before but never the less, caught my eye and tugged at my heart strings.

And here it is. It's a bronze figurine of a Hawk that I instantly fell in love with.

As a boy, I was fascinated with birds of prey and would sketch and paint pictures of them. There was a falconry centre not far from where I lived that I would visit as often as my parents would allow, my favourite being the Peregrine Falcon.

Takagari was the sport of the elite and noble in Japan just as it was in Europe and therefore a direct connection with Samurai.

As a novice collector of Japanese swords but also a graduate of graphic design,  I've come to appreciate the art of simple, clean designs and crispness of line which embodies Japanese products. I don't think it gets any better than this example.

But to be honest, this was far from my mind when I asked Kelly to bid on it. It was more of an impulse decision than anything else.

I have to say that Kelly was a 1st class act in all my communication with him. We instantly hit it off and his enthusiasm for the piece was infectious (which is important in my book)  because I trusted him to bid on the auction which he did. My shipping instructions were also demanding but he did all that I asked for and I received the hawk safely and well packed.  I can therefore thoroughly recommend his services but as a first time bidder on a Japanese auction, be aware that there are sale taxes and an export tax if the items sells for more than 200,000 yen. Kelly made me aware of this which I really appreciate because I was going to bid more than 200k.

So anyway, here is the Hawk and info about the artist.

Tsuda Shinobu was born in Chiba Prefecture. He studied under Okazaki Sessei and graduated from the Tokyo School of Fine Arts in 1900. In 1902, he returned to the school as an assistant professor, becoming a full professor in 1919. He began exhibiting his work in Meiji 40 or 1907 at the Tokyo Kangyo Hakurankai or Tokyo Industrial Exposition. A juror and exhibitor for the Japanese delegation to the Paris Exposition in 1925, Shinobu was twice decorated by the government of France, in 1928 and again in 1933. In 1935, he became a member of the Teikoku Bijutsuin or Imperial Academy of Fine Arts, and in 1937 of the Teikoku Geijutsuin or Imperial Arts Academy. An exhibitor at the Teiten, the Hoshukuten and Shin-Bunten, Tsuda Shinobu was one of the foremost artists working in metal in the decades prior to the Pacific War.

It looks green in these auction photos but actually, and much like a sword, it depends on the light. Sometimes it looks green , sometimes black, sometimes bronze. It's quite extraordinary.

post-1138-0-67724800-1498939235_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-34578200-1498939251_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-06287300-1498939259_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-55827900-1498939269_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-62383300-1498939288_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-80849900-1498939303_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Ben, it's stunning in my eyes and I love it also.  On closer examination, and not intending in any way to be nit-picky, but I believe it is indeed a Peregrine Falcon (Hayabusa) and not a Hawk.  The beak notch is the most conspicuous difference between Falcons and Hawks.   Living in Montana we have a wide variety of Raptor species including Peregrines, Osprey, Bald Eagles and the massive Golden Eagles.  My personal favorite are Kestrels, which are tiny amazing hunters and quite common here.  Ferruginous Hawks are probably my second favorites and occasionally seen.  

Congratulations, it really is a lovely sculpture.

• Like 1

I wasn't in much doubt that you guys would love it as much as I do.

Quality just speaks for itself.

Ted, you maybe right but if it's been sculpted 1:1 scale, it's a little bit too small to be a Peregrine. 

Jean, The falcon belongs to the genus "Falco," whereas hawks fall into several genera. Falcons have notched beaks while hawks have a curved beak. Falcons also use their beaks to attack prey, while hawks use the talons on their feet to kill prey. Hawks are generally larger in size than Falcons.

Wow.

Oh, I am so thrilled to hear this, Ben. 

As you know, I also was quite taken with this piece, and as I repacked it, I was sorely tempted to keep it for myself!  Haha!

But now, hearing your special childhood memories, I know it will be cherished and that it has found its rightful home.

Thanks also to John A. Stuart for the explanation of the difference between hawks and falcons.  I had often wondered, as there are many samurai clan kamon crests using the feathers, and as the martial connotation is strong.

Just a note to all members, although there are sales taxes (8%, sometimes broken out separately in brackets on the auction page) there is no export tax.  All antiques over 200,000 yen in value must simply be checked to ensure cultural treasures are not being exported.  The process takes a few weeks at the Japan Ministry of Culture, and I've never been denied, so I think largely a formality for auction items.

Enjoy, Ben!

Kelly Schmidt

Japanese Antique Auctions on NOW!

I recently subscribed to Kelly Schmidt's email list regarding auction items in Japan and have been drooling over some of the swords, koshirae and armour being offered.

What I didn't expect was to see was something quite different to anything I've ever bought before but never the less, caught my eye and tugged at my heart strings.

And here it is. It's a bronze figurine of a Hawk that I instantly fell in love with.

I have to say that Kelly was a 1st class act in all my communication with him. We instantly hit it off and his enthusiasm for the piece was infectious (which is important in my book)  because I trusted him to bid on the auction which he did. My shipping instructions were also demanding but he did all that I asked for and I received the hawk safely and well packed.  I can therefore thoroughly recommend his services but as a first time bidder on a Japanese auction, be aware that there are sale taxes and an export tax if the items sells for more than 200,000 yen. Kelly made me aware of this which I really appreciate because I was going to bid more than 200k.

Ben, yes there are nice things other than swords and armor on Yahoo Japan, you have a good eye and you are absolutely right on about Kelly as well, I never regret using Kelly's service, he is first class.

Ben,

Absolutely stunning, congrats.  I see the influence of SANDOZ and BUGATTI  in this piece, wonderful.  You got a bargain.

-StevenK

You see the influence of LSD and sports cars?

Not that I'm in the market (far from it) but always like to look at antique Japanese metalwork like metal vases and okimono/statues.
What kanji would one search on Yahoo to look for antique metalwork? (mixed metal vases, statues etc)
Not an easy one to pull up. Or is there a category worth browsing?

Eric,

Sometimes, but not in this instance.  GOOGLE the names.

-StevenK

I know that Sandoz is famous for making LSD and Bugatti is famous for making cars....as for Google searches I suppose one could come up with various other meanings....no way of knowing which meaning you were applying to this statue unless you explain a bit more.

Was looking through my "junk" (which is what the missus calls it) on the weekend and found this original painting of a Peregrine falcon.

It was a gift from my parents on my 18th birthday and I haven't looked upon it for many years.. I remember my Mum having the painting cropped and re-framed because it was originally twice as wide so the signature was lost which is a shame. A talented artist for sure though.

The cliffs and coastline I recognise as being in West Wales where I spent my summer holidays and where I watched these amazing birds hunting with my own eyes.

Funny how certain things that captivated you when you're young come around again 30 years later..

post-1138-0-32645200-1499109562_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-46726900-1499109581_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-71862700-1499109670_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Ben,

Absolutely stunning, congrats.  I see the influence of SANDOZ and BUGATTI  in this piece, wonderful.  You got a bargain.

-StevenK

Thanks so much for your input!

Yes, I see the Art Deco influences. I think it's my favourite period for design actually and would love to have been part of it all. Well, until the great depression hit obviously! lol

• Like 2

Funny how certain things that captivated you when you're young come around again 30 years later..

So very true, Ben! My childhood obsessions inform my collecting to this day: Japan, Bruce Lee, martial arts, dinosaurs...

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Merry Christmas everyone and look what Santa got for me this year.  :)

Well actually it was thanks to yahoo auctions and Kelly once again who worked hard negotiating with the seller so that I could afford it.

The condition isn't as good as the first one but I'm happy to have a daisho of falcons now. 

post-1138-0-42331500-1577263024_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-38673000-1577263030_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-42913900-1577263035_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-91914500-1577263059_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-82300200-1577263083_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..