Muramasa Advice

Muramasa blades were banned on pain on death by the tokugawa shogunate. A lot of signatures were either erased or replaced in this time in order to hide the true maker of the blade. There aren't very many makers for which a fake signature is used to camouflage a higher quality blade from unwanted scrutiny... 

So.....my original question stands.  By what criteria will the NBTHK let a sword pass with a false signature?  Is it only Muramasa?  Are there other swordsmiths whose swords were "camouflaged" for a similar reason?  Francesco's link takes you to Marku Sesko's piece that seems to indicate that it is generally allowed, but I'm wondering if there is a compendium of such swords for which Kaisan is allowed.  

post-620-0-14597100-1499554288_thumb.png

Quite an interesting topic. Markus' article was very illuminating for me. 

It seems that not only signatures that were altered for 'superstitious' reasons i.e Shimosaka or Muramasa, but also ones altered for potential unscrupulous reasons i,e the Nengo date change from Tensho to Eisho are accepted by the NBTHK

Its not gimei as only a few of the characters in the mei have been altered

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..