Hankei Is This A Fatal Flaw Broke Off Tip

Roy, the hakobore (chip) appears to be a minor one and should be restorable. Please only use a professionally trained polisher if you have the sword restored. Also note that nothing should be done prior to shinsa & polish to clean the blade or the nakago.

Best regards,

Ray

• Like 1

Please note that the blade's condition may prevent it from receiving a kanteisho however I believe (if the NTHK is similar in this respect to the NTHK NPO) that you would still receive a comment indicating if the signature was found to be authentic.

Best regards,

Ray

• Like 1

Ken, as far at the NTHK NPO you will receive a notation on the pink slip indicating it for the feel the mei is authentic. Perhaps Thomas can verify it for the same is true of upcoming NTHK shinsa in San Francisco.

Ray, I thought that both organizations require a blade to be in polish before they will issue any reading at all - has that changed?

Ken

Roy, given the short time between now and the shinsa you would not be able to have a full restoration done. It is possible that you could utilize the work of Bob Benson (Togishi.com) for a madoake (window polish) to open up a small polish area of the blade so it can be better assessed.

Best regards,

Ray

It really needs a polish and tip fixed,you can see the hamon at angles should i get it polished before the show.The goal i have is if anything authenticating the Mei,signature

Roy, Bob Benson can also give you his feedback on whether the mei is shoshin (valid) or not. I'm meeting with him tomorrow to get his feedback on one of my own blades before I send it to shinsa. His student, Woody, polished my blade, & suggested that I talk to Bob.

Ken

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..