Generations - Kantei

Curran

i personally do much prefer the #1 here....very nice! :)

but? shure with rice?......i rather tend for branches of a Persimmon tree here....(would fitt to the school and tradition, as this area they do come from, even todays, is crowded with phantastic old and beautiful persimmon trees and alleys...) ?

a lovely set indeed! :thumbsup:

Christian

Hi Christian-

It is a kantei challenge.

To make it more interesting, I included 2 examples of 2 schools- mainline, but different generations.

I know my photos aren't excellent, but one of the tsuba in each group is worth about 5 to 10 times that of the other one.

I thought that might get some to ponder. Then it is partially a discussion of older iron and also subtle differences of skill.

The discussion has to get started first.  There is a lot to learn here, and it is possibly the last thing I share before having to recluse for a while.

I know very little about Akasaka tsuba and only own one that is part a koshirae published in one of the KTK catalogues. To get the ball rolling I offer this.

From a quick scan through 'Aesthetic study' I would say that the left tsuba with the gold plug is from one of the first Tadamasa as the work style resembles the descriptions there. The tsuba on the right looks earlier as it seems more rustic and slightly more naive in design (more up my alley to be honest), therefore I would say that it is Ko Akasaka

I think though that the thickness of the tsuba and details of the sukashi work is also needed for a thorough job. That is my excuse always! Looking forward to learning more.

PS. I would also say that the left tsuba is a rice design

• Like 1

Second set:  first one is Hayashi Matashichi;  the second, Hayashi Shigemitsu.  ?  :glee:

That would be nice.

The left one is Hayashi Shigemitsu (2nd gen). The right one is Hayashi Matahei (5th gen).

See similar signed example #152 in the Hayashi book and note the punchwork on the branch as it comes from the seppa dai. Also, rendering of the flowers, buds, placement of kogai ana.

The existence of the 4th gen Hayashi is largely skipped over as the school was passed over to the Kamiyoshi line. Yet 5th gen Hayashi existed and did quite well.

Both the Akasaka and Hayashi photo are basically the 2nd master and then effective 4th master of the direct school line.

My photos are the best I can do at the moment, which is all the more reason to applaud Mauro's hits. I've seen him do some other spot on calls in this section, and thought he might be one of the people to nail it if chose to take a try.

I originally thought the Shigemitsu was Tohachi like the signed one in the Hayashi book.

I hadn't studied there much, and it took the time and insight of some other collectors to understand differences. Placing it next to other Shigemitsu and Tohachi works clarified it mentally.

• Like 3

Ah, I see.  Thanks, Curran, both for the good kantei test and the explanation here.  I suppose it would help me to have the Hayashi book.  ;-)   Higo (and even more, Akasaka) are a bit outside my area of focus, but still, this was a great learning exercise.  Thanks for posting.  thumbs%20up.gif

Cheers,

Steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..