Translation Help Assistance

Silvio

says Nankei Shigekuni made this........... not sure what you mean about "genuine". If you mean is it a genuine Japanese sword vs. a Chinese fake then yes.  If you mean is it made by Shigekuni no one here is likely to say yes from that picture. The tang has been cleaned and that is a shame as it greatly reduces the value either way.

• Like 1

Like Mark said the translation is   '' Nanki ni oite Shigekuni kore o tsukuru ''  "made by Shigekuni in Nanki (i.e. southern Kii province)." this is also confirmed by a expert translater

He said these signature is faked a lot but if authentic this blade comes from the early 1600s.

Altough the tang is cleaned and decreased the value it has a chance the blade and signature are old because in my observation the letters are filled with patina wich is not removed after the cleaning.

Thank you,

Silvio

.....Although the tang is cleaned and the value decreased it has a chance the blade and signature are old ......

Thank you,

Silvio

Silvio,

the value of a blade has very little to do with age! Quality and condition are much more relevant.

I do not no why you quote this part with all respect as i,m not seeking for pricing/value etc from the beginning so maybe i say it wrong or you misread this part

I understand that quality/condition counts much more but the damage is already done in the past and not reversible 

Al what matters for me is the historical aspect and just try to find out its age/translation

Thank you,

Silvio

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..