Tameshi-Mei Assistance

Ray Singer

I think its clear you nailed it as far as the first three kanji Steve. Thank you.

I wondered if it might be 大袈裟 ōgesa (a type of tameshigiri cut), but it seems to require too much wishful thinking on my part. I'm afraid I can't offer much else. 

There are other possibilities in Markus Sesko's book beginning with the 大 kanji, but again (for me) they don't quite tie up in terms of relating these kanji to what remains of the shapes on the tang:

大脇毛 -  O Wakige - "armpit hair".

大雁骨 – O Karigane - a cut across the shoulder blades.

大毛シ - O Kenashi - large no hair cut. Yep, that's what it says in the book.

However, I think it is heading in the right direction to assume that the first three kanji relate to the type of cut. Also the combination "kirite" is one that appears in a number of the inscriptions in Markus's book meaning "cut through" which might link in to what Ray has already.

Unfortunately, that's all I can offer apart from apologies if I'm going over stuff that's obvious.

Best,

John

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback. This is where the saidan mei appears to be currently. 

ōgesa (大袈裟) _ 毛 _ setsudan (截断).

I did try to plug in 切 手 however the kanji preceeding 毛 does not seem to match. Still looking. 

post-457-0-10642800-1498760236_thumb.jpeg

• 3 months later...
I did recieve assistance on this one a while back. 

Ōgesa katateuchi setsudan (大袈裟片手打截断)
Yamano Ka Uemon roku ju yon sai Nagahisa Kao (Yamano Nagahisa at the age of 64)
Kanbun 1 nen hachi gatsu hi (a day in August 1661)

Also, credit to Ford Hallam for the remarkable work restoring the patina of the nakago.

post-457-0-71489700-1507060348_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-22299700-1507060510_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..