Thoughts On This Blade For Iai?

Katsujinken

https://www.aoijapan.com/katana-mumei-kanetsune

The blade seems healthy enough. Obviously being o suriage, mumei, papered Hozon to a chu-saku smith, and late Muromachi at the oldest it should not be very expensive. I'm wondering what you all think of the auction starting price in the context of the above and as a potential blade for Iai.

Michael, why in the world would you want to use a papered Nihonto for iaido?? I'll admit that my wife & I use Nihonto for iai training because our Menkyo Kaiden Sensei mandates it, but we'd never consider using an authenticated blade for training.

Also, have you cleared with your Sensei whether you can even bring a shinken to the dojo?

Ken

• Like 6

I appreciate the concern, Ken, but rest assured I wouldn't be asking if using a live blade wasn't part of our training and completely appropriate.

As for papered vs. not, I think Guido made the point: it doesn't much matter as long as one knows what's up with the blade itself. Hozon papers make no difference in this case.

That's why this one jumped out at me: as far as nihonto go, it's a fine example but generally pedestrian – an everyday workhorse. Which means it's an excellent candidate for Iai. Hope that doesn't offend anyone. I don't think it's disrespectful to use a sword like this for Iai if you're ready for such a thing and know how to handle it properly.

I was really just asking for a gut check based on the available photos, mostly.

Michael

Hozon may be pedestrian but Jojosaku is better than average - I would advise my students against using such a sword and I offer you the same. He has specific listings for Iai swords and I think youll find good offerings there that no one will cry about. This sword should be preserved...

mho

-t

• Like 2

There's also a decent range of modern iai swords in that price range here, updated fairly regularly:

http://www.e-sword.jp/iai.htm

The advantage (aside from being less controversial) is that these would have been mounted especially for iai, and so the koshirae would probably hold up better to repeated use in a dojo.

Also worth noting, when Aoi feel a blade and koshirae is suitable for iai or batto practice, they will mention it in a note on the listing (along the lines of "We recommend this blade to you for iai"). The note isn't present on this one...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..