#1 Katsujinken

Katsujinken

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

https://www.aoijapan...mumei-kanetsune

The blade seems healthy enough. Obviously being o suriage, mumei, papered Hozon to a chu-saku smith, and late Muromachi at the oldest it should not be very expensive. I'm wondering what you all think of the auction starting price in the context of the above and as a potential blade for Iai.
Michael

#2 Ken-Hawaii

Ken-Hawaii

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,367 posts
  • LocationKaneohe, Hawaii, USA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

Michael, why in the world would you want to use a papered Nihonto for iaido?? I'll admit that my wife & I use Nihonto for iai training because our Menkyo Kaiden Sensei mandates it, but we'd never consider using an authenticated blade for training.

Also, have you cleared with your Sensei whether you can even bring a shinken to the dojo?

Ken

• k morita, ROKUJURO, Greg F and 3 others like this

#3 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

Buy a cheap Chinese or Japanese sword specifically made for iai and ask advice on a different forum that deal with such things.

• Greg F likes this

John

#4 Guido Schiller

Guido Schiller

Metsuke

• Members
  • 2,553 posts
  • LocationTōkyō

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

... we'd never consider using an authenticated blade for training.

But antique swords without papers? I hope you have perfect kantei skills then ... ;-) :laughing:
  • Katsujinken likes this

#5 Katsujinken

Katsujinken

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

I appreciate the concern, Ken, but rest assured I wouldn't be asking if using a live blade wasn't part of our training and completely appropriate.

As for papered vs. not, I think Guido made the point: it doesn't much matter as long as one knows what's up with the blade itself. Hozon papers make no difference in this case.

That's why this one jumped out at me: as far as nihonto go, it's a fine example but generally pedestrian – an everyday workhorse. Which means it's an excellent candidate for Iai. Hope that doesn't offend anyone. I don't think it's disrespectful to use a sword like this for Iai if you're ready for such a thing and know how to handle it properly.

I was really just asking for a gut check based on the available photos, mostly.
Michael

#6 Greg F

Greg F

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,234 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:51 AM

Way too good for Iaido and pretty good for price imo. Papered, old and in polish with nice koshirae i think its a pretty good deal.

Greg

#7 Toryu

Toryu

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  • Locationat San Francisco in California

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Michael
Hozon may be pedestrian but Jojosaku is better than average - I would advise my students against using such a sword and I offer you the same. He has specific listings for Iai swords and I think youll find good offerings there that no one will cry about. This sword should be preserved...
mho
-t
  • dominnimod and EdWolf like this

Thomas C Helm
Northern California Japanese Sword Club

http://www.toryu-mon.com

#8 Katsujinken

Katsujinken

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

To be fair, Aoi says jojosaku, but Fujishiro says chusaku (which is mostly where my 'pedestrian' comment comes from).

In any case I appreciate the input! Thanks. :-)
Michael

#9 Jean

Jean

Daimyo

• Moderators
  • 6,971 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

Michael,

FWIW, Aoi rates the sword, Fujshiro rates the smith. Big difference :)
  • b.hennick, peterd, dominnimod and 1 other like this
Jean L.
Soshin Gimei

#10 Katsujinken

Katsujinken

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

Michael,

FWIW, Aoi rates the sword, Fujshiro rates the smith. Big difference :)

That's a great point. Thank you Jean!
Michael

#11 eternal_newbie

eternal_newbie

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia, Australia

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

There's also a decent range of modern iai swords in that price range here, updated fairly regularly:

http://www.e-sword.jp/iai.htm

The advantage (aside from being less controversial) is that these would have been mounted especially for iai, and so the koshirae would probably hold up better to repeated use in a dojo.

Also worth noting, when Aoi feel a blade and koshirae is suitable for iai or batto practice, they will mention it in a note on the listing (along the lines of "We recommend this blade to you for iai"). The note isn't present on this one...

-- Rohan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq